Skip to main content You are either not logged in or not registered with our community. Click here to register.

WikiFullscreen ChatVoice Chat (Discord)Org PageF.A.Q.

Topic: Operation Pitchfork - After Action Report (Development & Feedback Thread) (Read 2838 times) previous topic - next topic

• Hussars
  • [*][*][*]
  • Enrolled
Operation Pitchfork - After Action Report (Development & Feedback Thread)
Hi all,

The draft version of the AAR is now up at: (http://paradoxflaw.com/aar)

I'll be maintaining this thread for the ongoing development of the form, while this post will be updated to reflect any specific feedback requested, or general notes about the current status of development which will be shown below.

If there are any web or layout designers interested in helping with the presentation aspect of the form, please either reply here or PM me directly so we can discuss it further.

Form: After Action Report
Ver: 0.01
Form Status: Active
Form Submit Functionality: Disabled
Current Review Focus:
  • Field Design

Feedback Requested (Until 23Aug14):
    -Format, Field Labels, New Fields Requested
    -Post feedback, comments and/or suggestions to this thread for tracking/reference purposes.

Progress Tracking:

Still To do:
  • Add form field verification (jscript/html/css)

• Create auto-increment field/db injector (php)

• Presentation/UI design

• Theme selector

• Multiple screen types/resolution support

• Re-enable "Submit" functions

A note on the new "style" - I tried to use colors that should be friendly for most people regardless of color perception issues/difficulties.
This means the colors used are most likely hideous to everyone :D

::Update::  A more color perception friendly version is also available at (http://paradoxflaw.com/pretty_aar.html) however this version is also my working testbed, so expect it to change more often.
  • Last Edit: August 15, 2014, 12:49:46 AM by Hussars
People say the 'verse is a hard place, that she'll just as soon leave you for dead as to help you.  I think that she must truly love us in order to hate us so much.

• Hussars
  • [*][*][*]
  • Enrolled
Re: Operation Pitchfork - After Action Report (Development & Feedback Thread)
Reply #1
This post reserved for future updates
People say the 'verse is a hard place, that she'll just as soon leave you for dead as to help you.  I think that she must truly love us in order to hate us so much.

Reply #2
Suggest adding map location field
Pitchfork Belongs to all of us

• Hussars
  • [*][*][*]
  • Enrolled
Reply #3

Suggest adding map location field

Looking for XYZ grid style coordinates, or major 'landmarks'?

Reply #4

Looking for XYZ grid style coordinates, or major 'landmarks'?

Currently it is probably best to go for both, so that we have a field saying 'coordinates' and then wait untill the PU comes out to see how CIG presents such data. And also the landmarks field is (like the nearest jumppoint one you already have) as an additional option.

It will really depend on how easy it will be in practice for pilots to note their location

• Hussars
  • [*][*][*]
  • Enrolled
Reply #5

Currently it is probably best to go for both, so that we have a field saying 'coordinates' and then wait untill the PU comes out to see how CIG presents such data. And also the landmarks field is (like the nearest jumppoint one you already have) as an additional option.

It will really depend on how easy it will be in practice for pilots to note their location

Yeah, I'm still hoping for some form of combat log system we can import.  Would make the form mostly unneeded except in cases where more information/manual data entry were required (attack pattern descriptions, observation comments, etc...)

Reply #6
If this is something that would be used by the Recon guys in the run up to PITCHFORK, we might want to add a date or a Beta version or some such, so we know how old the information is.
United Space Confederation Envoy to Operation Pitchfork
Envoy, USC
XO, USC Defense Force Training Command
Member, USC Interstellar Commerce
Member, USC Expeditionary Corps
Member, USC Department of Aerospace Engineering

Aurora LX (Traveller's Tales)
Anvil F7C-M (Ares' Gauntlet)
Anvil Carrack (Grey-Eyed Goddess)
Aegis Vanguard (Hero for Hire)
Anvil Crucible (Rustoff)

Reply #7

If this is something that would be used by the Recon guys in the run up to PITCHFORK, we might want to add a date or a Beta version or some such, so we know how old the information is.

Hi Ogi, The form does feature an option to fill in the date of the scout run, so in that sense it can be determined how old the information is. :)

• Jonais
  • [*][*][*]
  • Enrolled
Reply #8
A couple opinions/notes:

Pilot Details should be optional. They're not particularly relevant to what is being reported and some people may not want to disclose the information, but still want to help give intel on the Vanduul.

Changing the number of encounters should add lines to the Encounter details section. Every encounter is different so there should be different specifics regarding each encounter. Add more encounter sections or only allow one encounter report per submit.
Tumbleweeds. A Lone Wolves inspired org.
https://robertsspaceindustries.com/orgs/TUMBLWEEDS

Reply #9

Hi Ogi, The form does feature an option to fill in the date of the scout run, so in that sense it can be determined how old the information is. :)

Oh, "Flight Launch Date".

Oops.
United Space Confederation Envoy to Operation Pitchfork
Envoy, USC
XO, USC Defense Force Training Command
Member, USC Interstellar Commerce
Member, USC Expeditionary Corps
Member, USC Department of Aerospace Engineering

Aurora LX (Traveller's Tales)
Anvil F7C-M (Ares' Gauntlet)
Anvil Carrack (Grey-Eyed Goddess)
Aegis Vanguard (Hero for Hire)
Anvil Crucible (Rustoff)

• Hussars
  • [*][*][*]
  • Enrolled
Reply #10
First off, thanks everyone for the comments/feedback!

Now to specific responses:

Actually like the idea for the beta version.  Once SC goes live though, they may not tell us server revision which would be more important than client revision tracking as the server dictates the AI/spawn types.

I'm working on a redraft version of the form presentation to better handle different displays (resolutions and types) and will look to add a rev tracker field to an "Additional Information" section for those who want to provide it.

A couple opinions/notes:

Pilot Details should be optional. They're not particularly relevant to what is being reported and some people may not want to disclose the information, but still want to help give intel on the Vanduul.

Changing the number of encounters should add lines to the Encounter details section. Every encounter is different so there should be different specifics regarding each encounter. Add more encounter sections or only allow one encounter report per submit.

The pilot details being required is to limit the bulk garbage submissions without requiring a log-in or those annoying captcha prompts.  Just having the form there without people knowing about it (and it not showing up in search engines) had almost 500 entries in less than 24 hours.  Which was why I originally disabled the "send" feature.

I understand people will just enter bogus data in the field since it doesn't do a look-up against CIG's pilot list, but we need something that tries to reduce the random "for the lolz" entries.  How about if I were to provide a "default" pilot name for those who don't want to provide their name, and look to enable a captcha alternative?  http://www.usertesting.com/blog/2014/04/09/think-your-site-needs-captcha-try-these-user-friendly-alternatives/

For the encounters... counter..., that is the idea on the final form.  I'm actually thinking to move away from the number and simply have an "Add Encounter" button for up to 4 additional encounters (5 total encounters per log).  This is a bit easier to create and maintain for more people in the case I step away from the project for any reason.

Oh, "Flight Launch Date".

Oops.

No worries, I'll work on better placement of the fields to make more logical sense.  My basic template is based on actual flight logs which tend to be a single line of "cells" for everything.  Trying to make it usable for the most people possible, so sticking to a vertical scroll vs. horizontal scroll was where I focused.

As I said previously though, working on the redesign opens up the chance for both to be explored.  If anyone has any ideas on overall layout/design, feel free to let me know!

Reply #11
what would be the best way to include a way to note different clans? An optional dropdown beneath the option to select vanduul?

• Shank
  • [*][*][*]
  • Enrolled
Reply #12
Looks good.

Will there be a 2nd page with boxes to just put tick marks next to things such as;

In system bodies:

1) Planets # of 

2) Asteroids? (Yes / No) Location / Used by Enemy?

3) Sentient Being made objects? (Yes / No) Describe

and so on.

• Hussars
  • [*][*][*]
  • Enrolled
Reply #13

Looks good.

Will there be a 2nd page with boxes to just put tick marks next to things such as;

In system bodies:

1) Planets # of 

2) Asteroids? (Yes / No) Location / Used by Enemy?

3) Sentient Being made objects? (Yes / No) Describe

and so on.

Marcus made a similar comment and I'm still trying to figure out what might work best for this type of information.  I'll work on a quick layout mock-up and get it uploaded for comment in the next few days.  Currently busy with RL, working on 3 essays and a formal research paper o.O  Working on the AAR will be a nice break to relax a bit.

• Hussars
  • [*][*][*]
  • Enrolled
Reply #14
Sample image of the potential format.  Colors used are simply for this image, there are still no "fixed" decisions on the final styling.

Cannot update the actual form until I get home tonight.

Thoughts on the format?
  • Last Edit: August 13, 2014, 06:31:00 PM by Hussars

Reply #15
More compact nice  :)

• Hussars
  • [*][*][*]
  • Enrolled
Reply #16
If everyone likes the general feel of the document, I'll take it a step further by collapsing the form fields under 3 "tabs", one for each major grouping.  Basically "Flight Details", "Encounter Details", and either leave comments as its own section or rolled-up under either Encounter Details or the planned "Additional Information" data fields that have been requested.

The instructions will be its own collapsed tab and if anyone wants to design/provide a Report image/logo, I can use that in place of the current banner which will reduce the default footprint a good deal more.

This also makes it a bit easier for mobile/tablet layout planning for a "responsive" design.

::Update:: New URL for higher contrast form using new layout added: http://paradoxflaw.com/aar_bland.html
  • Last Edit: August 14, 2014, 01:54:32 AM by Hussars

• Shank
  • [*][*][*]
  • Enrolled
Reply #17
So far it looks good to me.

• Hussars
  • [*][*][*]
  • Enrolled
Reply #18

So far it looks good to me.

Thanks for the feedback!

Picked up a Nexus7 to check tablet screens, portrait/tablet landscape seems to be mostly okay but thinking I'll need to revisit those specific resolution settings later.

If we keep the current page format, how does everyone feel about this regrouping:

+Flight Details

• Pilot Details

• Pilot Name

• Ship Name

• Ship Role Configuration

• Flight Plan Details

• Starting System

Thoughts?

• John_Shepard
  • [*][*][*]
  • Enrolled
  • Devout Follower of Supreme Commander Sailor
Reply #19
Brilliant work!
For the first time in my life...I'm excited to fill in a form.

• Hussars
  • [*][*][*]
  • Enrolled
Reply #20

Yay, I have a bit of free time to come back to the form! (school is kicking my arse - hate writing formal research papers >.<)

Was giving this some thought and how about this:

Add two new fields under location details

• X/Y/Z map position(text field)

• Major Landmark (drop down based on encounter system selection)

Then it becomes a process of:

• User selects encounter system

• Enters the X/Y/Z and/or selects the drop down landmark

• Continues to complete the form

This may mean that each encounter will need to be logged separately, it just comes down to how much demand or priority there is for fidelity over ease of use.  I can also enabled auto-complete based on previous entries, but this means the browser needs to cache/use cookies/or have auto-complete enabled as well.

Unfortunately, flight logs and reports just aren't "fun", but we can at least try to make it interesting.

What I'd really like to have is a visual reference system in-place, so when you select a ship value, you get a preview something like the RSI holo-viewer in a preview area near the field (looking into how to add that functionality already).  Also want to be able to add this type of form to the nav map, but these are aspects well beyond my skill level currently.
  • Last Edit: September 23, 2014, 02:34:33 PM by Hussars

Reply #21

Yay, I have a bit of free time to come back to the form! (school is kicking my arse - hate writing formal research papers >.<)

Was giving this some thought and how about this:

Add two new fields under location details

• X/Y/Z map position(text field)

• Major Landmark (drop down based on encounter system selection)

Then it becomes a process of:

• User selects encounter system

• Enters the X/Y/Z and/or selects the drop down landmark

• Continues to complete the form

This may mean that each encounter will need to be logged separately, it just comes down to how much demand or priority there is for fidelity over ease of use.  I can also enabled auto-complete based on previous entries, but this means the browser needs to cache/use cookies/or have auto-complete enabled as well.

Unfortunately, flight logs and reports just aren't "fun", but we can at least try to make it interesting.

That would be interesting to try out :) We will have to see what is practical anyways

What I'd really like to have is a visual reference system in-place, so when you select a ship value, you get a preview something like the RSI holo-viewer in a preview area near the field (looking into how to add that functionality already).  Also want to be able to add this type of form to the nav map, but these are aspects well beyond my skill level currently.

Also ambitious, would make the form a bit more playful