Skip to main content You are either not logged in or not registered with our community. Click here to register.

WikiFullscreen ChatVoice Chat (Discord)Org PageF.A.Q.

Topic: To every action... (Read 1348 times) previous topic - next topic

To every action...
There is an equal an opposite reaction, I do not know if this has been considered... nor could be found a similar post.  After posting a message, stating that the UEE response to our actions is most likely to be viewed negatively... https://operationpitchfork.com/forums/index.php?topic=481.0

I began to theorize not only what might occur on the large scope of how the UEE would respond, but also the Vanduul.  To date we have no knowledge of the actual size of Vanduul territory, most of their planetary assets are harvested and directed twards space... leading to a larger than average fleet size.

The vanduul are a swarm, essentially... each fleet independent of each other... even in governance.
They have not directly assaulted humanity because we are not precieved as a threat, simply a pest and perhaps something to keep their blades sharp. 

But what would happen if Operation Pitchfork is successful, would that not cause these separate entities to unite?  What if the reason the UEE has never launched a major offensive is not because they are financially strained, but because such an attack could become a rallying cry for the Vanduul... they may too cry remember Orion.  However even if we are able to withstand the counterattack... if this same force is applied on every world that is bordering Vanduul space, we could be unleashing Pandora's box. 

We can't simply wait to die as the sea of Vanduul slowly floods us, but if we do attack... we should understand what will come next.

To some extent, it almost feels as if they have used all the old worlds along with earth as a buffer zone... with terra and the military system.  So if the worst should happen and they do invade, the best of humanities assets are protected.  That there is enough time to evaluate the opposition and begin pushing back. 

The invasion wouldn't be immediate, even the vanduul would take time to move from system to system... but if they begin attacking multiple systems we ourselves would either spread out and be destoyed.  Or the combatants of Pitchfork would be confined and isolated.  Humanity would still evacuate high priority assets... but a lot of people and worlds will be sacrificed.

This is just how I see the board playing out at the moment.
  • Last Edit: July 08, 2014, 09:23:36 AM by Ringsead

• Griess
  • [*][*][*]
  • Enrolled
Re: To every action...
Reply #1
Hasn't the space bacon already launched several major offensives on UEE space? Pretty sure I've seen a few mentions dotted about in the fluff.

Reply #2

Hasn't the space bacon already launched several major offensives on UEE space? Pretty sure I've seen a few mentions dotted about in the fluff.

It is possible, though I am relatively sure in both instances neither side fully committed... I only know of a few, and they appear to be more or less skirmishes... it seems, the vanduul have responded to the UEE in a greater force than what was originally present in the attack.  Which makes me feel that they prefer not to commit their force full force, it will use a token force to assess their target... then pull from the reserves to find the right composition to attack with.

More to the point, these attacks may represent isolated cells, perhaps even weaker ones that are being pushed from the core.  It may be counterintuitive to believe these cells that the UEE are the best that the Vacon have.  To date I believe these cells have not reacted in conjunction because the only ones in conflict were these weaker cells... Though if challenged, the stronger cells might rally or more likely rally their thralls to push further into our territory. 1: Take out newly imergent threat, 2: clear breathing room for the stronger cells. 3: soften up target for stronger cells to gain more resources, this includes the remains or choice pieces of the weaker cells.

If you could post links that would help clarify what I have missed so far, the intent of this post is not to stop operation pitchfork, but think about the operations impact.  It is the best way to avoid the operation becoming a cursed name.
  • Last Edit: July 08, 2014, 10:40:50 PM by Ringsead

Reply #3
There is also such a thing as overthinking an issue  ;) I agree with the OP that we should study the Vanduul AI in how it responds on a macro schale -> for example if we destroy Vanduul destroyer X in system Y, what then are the repercussions? Do they redeploy or replace? Do they ignore it (does it simply respawn?).

Reply #4

There is also such a thing as overthinking an issue  ;) I agree with the OP that we should study the Vanduul AI in how it responds on a macro schale -> for example if we destroy Vanduul destroyer X in system Y, what then are the repercussions? Do they redeploy or replace? Do they ignore it (does it simply respawn?).

At first I thought so as well, but the developers have already stated they will have an active hand in the AIs responce, in the same way they will react to pirate incursions.  They may react to us as well... 

More importantly, if the developers know our intentions, and have two years to plan it... and want to make a statement about how players reactions effect the game world.  I could see this as a possible outcome...

Exert from one of the congress now series: "The truth of the matter is also a strategic one.  While military intelligence simulations reports that although the Vanduul lack the organization to mount a successful campaign, Earth is in a highly indefensible position strategically.  If the Vanduul were to ever launch an offensive, it's very likely that military forces in Terra, even Davien systems, would be unaware for hours maybe even a day."

What I submit is that operation may give the vanduul a organizational goal, much like what we have.
  • Last Edit: July 09, 2014, 03:59:52 AM by Ringsead

Reply #5
Sure, but that also makes it a moot point. The Vanduul are indeed as you say controlled by CIG's strings and they might invade for whatever reason CIG decides to give them wether we ourselves invade Vanduul territory or not.

For example say we follow your hypothesis, CIG now works the next 2 years to implement a counter invasion to respond to pitchfork.

Then also say we would call Pitchfork off, because we are all too busy drinking tea or whatever. Then my bet is that a Vanduul invasion as an event would still take place anyway.

I am not saying that there is no risk of the Vanduul invading earth as an event, that part of your argument is very reasonable. I am however denying that there is a true causal with whatever we are going to do as Pitchfork, as it will always be CIG's choice to execute such a plan.

However it would be interesting to also plan for such an event, my initial idea is to let the Earth Bengal Carriers handle such an event, but it would be far more fun to lend a helping hand  :)