Skip to main content You are either not logged in or not registered with our community. Click here to register.

WikiFullscreen ChatVoice Chat (Discord)Org PageF.A.Q.

Topic: OPPF Merchandise Store (Design Phase) (Read 12808 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: OPPF Merchandise Store (Design Phase)
Reply #25

I would totally get a, "My other vehicle is a [Hornet silhouette]" bumper sticker.

We cant sell that due to copyright (the hornet) but we can merch it :D

• ArbitrarySketch
  • [*][*][*]
Reply #26

I would totally get a, "My other vehicle is a [Hornet silhouette]" bumper sticker.
Great idea.  Would have to wait until we can get a merchandising license, but we could have art ready.

Medals, Ribbons, T-Shirts, Patches, Coins, Pins available!!

Be sure to add your ships, resources, and organization to the Operation: Pitchfork Assets List

• ArbitrarySketch
  • [*][*][*]
Reply #27
Here is the proposed patch art

This is about the only art we have right now, aside from posters and T-Shirts.  If there are any graphic artists among us, we could really use some more concept work.  Otherwise, I will look at hiring a graphic artist.

Be sure to add your ships, resources, and organization to the Operation: Pitchfork Assets List

• TEUTknight
  • [*][*][*]
  • Enrolled
Re: OPPF Merchandise Store (Design Phase, Need Art!)
Reply #28
and here I thought I wasn't going to spend another $100 or so regarding star citizen xD

• Benjamin the Rogue
  • [*][*][*]
  • Staff
Reply #29
We do have that one poster Supremecy did with the nebula that I slapped on a shirt. It's a very nice design.

• ArbitrarySketch
  • [*][*][*]
Reply #30
Might be getting a graphics artist on board for this, just waiting to hear back from him.

• ArbitrarySketch
  • [*][*][*]
Reply #31

We do have that one poster Supremecy did with the nebula that I slapped on a shirt. It's a very nice design.
Yes, we're keeping that one definitely. 

I'm also in discussion with a graphical artist who has made logos for a bunch of Star Citizen orgs and is on board for pitchfork as well.  He may be doing some patch concepts for us.  I'll keep you all posted.

• ArbitrarySketch
  • [*][*][*]
Reply #32
All right, we've got Kon-Ellin (Crow) doing Patch design currently.  Anyone that wants to throw out ideas for him to use is more than welcome!  The more he has to work with, the better his designs are likely to be!

• Andy_H
  • [*][*][*]
  • Enrolled
  • NMC Ambassasdor.
Reply #33
For Recon: Perhaps a speeding Ghost or other Phantom looking though a pair of binoculars in one hand and a pitchfork held nonchalant in the other.

For Salvage: Perhaps Egor from Frankenstein hauling trashed wings, engines, ect from a Vanduul graveyard in a wheelbarrow with an oversized smile on his face (With some image changes the basic concept could also work for Logistics hauling bombs and guns).

For Boarders: Perhaps three guys in EVA space armor carrying miniguns and rocket launchers flying at a cruiser with the caption along the lines of "We can take 'em."

For S&R: A Cutlass tractor beaming a human figure with a missile whizzing past the hull as it's upper turret's guns spew in a wide broadside arc.

• Kon Ellin
  • [*][*][*]
  • Enrolled
Reply #34
Hi Guys I am Crow I will create the different Logos for the Patches and here are my suggestions for the different slogans.

Fighter: "We Deliver Peace Or Pieces" - "No Retreat & No Surrender"
Bomber: "Be Cruel To The Vanduul" - "Dont Call 4 Backup - Call 4 Clean UP"
Boarding Crew: "Bringing Out The Garbage"
Logistics: "Ensuring the Battle" - "Getting The Job Done"
Salvage: "Warfare Souvenirs"
Search and Rescue "Leaving No Soul Behind"
Recon: "First on site. Last on sanity"

Cheers
Crow

• ArbitrarySketch
  • [*][*][*]
Reply #35
I may have started the thread, but that doesn't mean I'm the last word on design decisions.  This is just me contributing ideas like anyone else. 

Fighter: "Voler Venger Vaincre" (Fly, Avenge, Vanquish)
Bombing: Something to do with Bacon Bits
Boarding: Something like "Why destroy what you can claim?"
Salvage: Something to do with Recycling
Search and Rescue: "Out of the fire, back into the frying pan"
SWACS: "What you can't see is the most dangerous"
Logistics: "The Galaxy on Time"

I really like First on Site, Last on Sanity for Recon.
  • Last Edit: March 28, 2014, 01:24:58 PM by ArbitrarySketch

• Kon Ellin
  • [*][*][*]
  • Enrolled
Reply #36
Hey,

here are the versions of the main logo. Nice to see that the original Artist of this Logo had put thought behind of it. Like the Fork saying U E E - very Cool.

cheers

Crow
  • Last Edit: March 28, 2014, 05:56:50 PM by Kon Ellin

Reply #37

Hey,

here are the versions of the main logo. Nice to see that the original Artist of this Logo had put thought behind of it. Like the Fork saying U E E - very Cool.

cheers

Crow

I believe the intent was for the stylization of the prongs to be VF for Vengeance Fleet, not UEE; I suppose it could work for that as well though.

I like your images of it; I can't quite pinpoint the reason but they seem crisper than the original images (the outlines on the text in the lower one is a part of it, but the top one has the same feel to it).

One minor critique: you have a fillet on some of the corners of the pitchfork, I'd change those to chamfers to keep the overall feel of the pitchfork consistent.
  • Last Edit: March 28, 2014, 08:49:29 PM by Jaustin89

• Bzerker01
  • [*][*][*]
  • Enrolled
  • Super Hornet
Reply #38

Hey,

cheers

Crow

Hey Crow, good to see you here. 

With the sayings we should either translate into Latin or find passages which fit into Latin, or Ancient Greek.  Most mottos on offical patches and logos are in either Latin or Greek and often are quotes from famous passages or just direct translations from the native language, usually, into Latin.  Here are a few fun examples below and some suggestions.

For Fun (Unoffical?)

Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo (I'll rape your ass and skull fuck you -Catullus)
βάλλ' εις κόρακας (Go to the Crows[Go to Hell] -Ancient Greek Insult)
Fortuna multis dat nimis, satis nulli (Fortune gives too much to many, enough to none -Martial)
Nunc est bibendum (Now is the time for drinking -Horace)
Ferrum adverso sub pectore condit (He founded his sword in his enemies chest -Virgil, Aeneas Chapter 12)

Offical

Special Forces/Boarding: "Nulli secundus" (Second to none)/"Oppressi liberandi" (The oppressed to be liberated)
Search and Rescue/Medical: "Nil desperandum" (Never despair)/"Dum spiro spero" (While I breathe, I hope)
Salvage: "Fluctuat nec mergitur" (It floats and doesn't sink)
Bomber: "Fiat Lux" (Let there be light)
Fighter: "Audere est Facere" (To dare is to do)/"Qui audet adipiscitur" (He who dares wins)
Scout/Recon: "Nec Temere, Nec Timide" (Neither rashly nor timidly)/"Per ardua ad astra" (Through adversity to the stars)

Pitchfork: "Aut vincere aut mori" (Either to conquer or to die)/ "Nemo me impune lacessit" (No one cuts me with impunity)

• Kon Ellin
  • [*][*][*]
  • Enrolled
Reply #39
The Recon Badge

@Bzerker :) thanks mate.
Well I dont know I like the latin quotes  - but not everybody is able to understand (not negative spoken) latin.

@Jaustin thanks my friend. Could you plz explain what exactly you meant with "filet" cause my English is good but sometimes it lets me down.

ahhh vf cool - i saw the U E E ;)

Regards
Crow

• Last Edit: March 28, 2014, 10:50:03 PM by Kon Ellin

Reply #40

@Jaustin thanks my friend. Could you plz explain what exactly you meant with "filet" cause my English is good but sometimes it lets me down.

ahhh vf cool - i saw the U E E ;)

Regards
Crow

Sorry; I'm a drafter and slipped into terms I'm familiar with that aren't even in general usage in English. A fillet is an arc used to blend two surfaces whereas a chamfer is a flat surface applied at a corner to reduce a sharp angle to two lesser angles.

Basically there's a few spots where the corners are rounded arcs rather than hard angles (on the broken off corner of the F,  on the the ends of either letter where they blend into each other, there may be others but those were the ones that stood out).

I'm certainly not a great artist but in my opinion the design feels stronger when you stick to one or the other; either a "softer" design with no sharp corners, or a "harder" design with only sharp corners. Of the two I think the logo lends itself much better to the later design style.

Reply #41

Hey Crow, good to see you here. 

With the sayings we should either translate into Latin or find passages which fit into Latin, or Ancient Greek.  Most mottos on offical patches and logos are in either Latin or Greek and often are quotes from famous passages or just direct translations from the native language, usually, into Latin.  Here are a few fun examples below and some suggestions.

For Fun (Unoffical?)

Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo (I'll rape your ass and skull fuck you -Catullus)
βάλλ' εις κόρακας (Go to the Crows[Go to Hell] -Ancient Greek Insult)
Fortuna multis dat nimis, satis nulli (Fortune gives too much to many, enough to none -Martial)
Nunc est bibendum (Now is the time for drinking -Horace)
Ferrum adverso sub pectore condit (He founded his sword in his enemies chest -Virgil, Aeneas Chapter 12)

Offical

Special Forces/Boarding: "Nulli secundus" (Second to none)/"Oppressi liberandi" (The oppressed to be liberated)
Search and Rescue/Medical: "Nil desperandum" (Never despair)/"Dum spiro spero" (While I breathe, I hope)
Salvage: "Fluctuat nec mergitur" (It floats and doesn't sink)
Bomber: "Fiat Lux" (Let there be light)
Fighter: "Audere est Facere" (To dare is to do)/"Qui audet adipiscitur" (He who dares wins)
Scout/Recon: "Nec Temere, Nec Timide" (Neither rashly nor timidly)/"Per ardua ad astra" (Through adversity to the stars)

Pitchfork: "Aut vincere aut mori" (Either to conquer or to die)/ "Nemo me impune lacessit" (No one cuts me with impunity)

We never really got an official motto locked down, the top contenders if I recall correctly were "Pro Eo Spacium Arvina" (Because Space Bacon) and my personal favorite "Repensum Est Canicula" (Payback is a Bitch).

• ArbitrarySketch
  • [*][*][*]
Reply #42
The Recon patch looks good, though many of the finer details on the hornet and skull might get lost when converted to patch form.  If you look at flight jackets with patches on them, some of the graphics are even cartoony.  Slogans can also be finalized and added later if you have any designs in mind for other patches that you want to work on.  We have so many slogan ideas, we will probably end up compiling them all in one place and deciding as a group which ones we like best.

The slogans also do not HAVE to be in English or easily understood.  We see a lot of latin in military slogans, so I think it could fit in somewhere.  Just not everywhere.  Part of the fun is having people ask us what it means, which is a good conversation starter.
  • Last Edit: March 29, 2014, 01:23:23 AM by ArbitrarySketch

• Kon Ellin
  • [*][*][*]
  • Enrolled
Reply #43
The patch is to show what direction I will take on that. I will refine it today or tommorow. The Hornet could be replaced with a topview hornet. As for the wording is to show how it could be.

I would like to say that the Logos should have some "similarity" between them to understand that they come from the OPPF units.

In the end text can be decided on a poll  that not the Problem - (I like the Latin or Greek quotes a lot) :D

The colours Blac Red is often used for a Recon Squad I think they fit perfect - The skull is made by scatch and will be changed to look more plain without effects for the Merchandise.

As for the direction Cartoonish etc. we should decide so I can make my juices flow....And I ask for a bit of artistic freedom - in the End they will have that Crow Touch :D.

Things starting to get rolling - cool .

Regards
Crow

• Hawkeye
  • [*][*][*]
  • Enrolled
Reply #44
Just to throw this in, but "morituri te salutant" (those who are about to die, greet you) seems to be quite fitting :)

A couple others I found on the net:

Bomber:
"accipe hoc" (take this)
"aquila non capit muscas" (an eagle doesn´t catch flies - originally meant "a noble/important person doesn´t deal with insignificant issues", but could also work for the bomber boys)

Logistics:
"ex nihilo nihil fit" (nothing comes from nothing)
"nervos belli, pecuniam infinitam" (endless money forms the sinews of war - basically: an army marches on it´s stomach)

Fighters:
"mors tua, vita mea" (your death, my life - indicating a battle for survival)

Recon:
"non ducor, duco" (I am not led, I lead)
"video et taceo" (I see and keep silent)

General:
"ad victoriam" (to victory - roman battlecry)
"facta, non verba" (deeds, not words)
"in omnia paratus" (ready for everything - motto of the US 18th Infantry Regiment
"omnis vir tigris" (everyone a tiger)
"victoria aut mors" (victory or death)

And yes, I _really_ like latin phrases :)
"Tell the King: After the battle my head is at his disposal, during the battle he may allow me to use it!
GenLt. Seydlitz to Frederik the Great after disobeying an order to attack

R. Hoenig, Germany

• ArbitrarySketch
  • [*][*][*]
Reply #45
You're free to do what you want, Kon, I really don't mean to step on your toes.  Keep doing what you're doing.  Whatever you feel most comfortable and able to do is fine :)

Feedback from the RSI thread is that they like the design, but consensus is the slogan is not to their liking (my bad >.<).  They want something less derogatory and more brave, patriotic, or inspiring.
  • Last Edit: March 29, 2014, 02:47:25 PM by ArbitrarySketch

• Bzerker01
  • [*][*][*]
  • Enrolled
  • Super Hornet
Reply #46

You're free to do what you want, Kon, I really don't mean to step on your toes.  Keep doing what you're doing.  Whatever you feel most comfortable and able to do is fine :)

Feedback from the RSI thread is that they like the design, but consensus is the slogan is not to their liking (my bad >.<).  They want something less derogatory and more brave, patriotic, or inspiring.

Yeah that was generally my guess as well.  I love crows work with his inspirational posters, the slogans need some work though as they are a bit crude, that's why I offered some suggestions to put on there.  However you won't get a unanimous vote on if its good or not, but something others can tolerate would be for the best, thus something simple and straight to the point like 'Ever Vigilant' or 'Always In The Lead' would work to quell concerns.
  • Last Edit: March 29, 2014, 03:37:31 PM by Bzerker01

• Shank
  • [*][*][*]
  • Enrolled
Reply #47

Yeah that was generally my guess as well.  I love crows work with his inspirational posters, the slogans need some work though as they are a bit crude, that's why I offered some suggestions to put on there.  However you won't get a unanimous vote on if its good or not, but something others can tolerate would be for the best, thus something simple and straight to the point like 'Ever Vigilant' or 'Always In The Lead' would work to quell concerns.

I personally like the Slogan, I don't really see the Recon Badge as derogatory if you wear it and it is toward yourself, nor that it is crude.

Maybe there can be 2 variants?

• Kon Ellin
  • [*][*][*]
  • Enrolled
Reply #48
Yeah thanks M8s

nah you all can say your critique no worries its an developing step. But in the End trust me we will have cool Badges - Poster etc.

The Slogan well is changeable no problem. I was a SF guy in the Greek army nearly 10 years so I know what the Ethos should be :) - I would love to have a Black Ops Squad with the quote Swift Silent Deadly....

Looking forward to this.

cheers
Crow

• ArbitrarySketch
  • [*][*][*]
Reply #49

Yeah thanks M8s

nah you all can say your critique no worries its an developing step. But in the End trust me we will have cool Badges - Poster etc.

The Slogan well is changeable no problem. I was a SF guy in the Greek army nearly 10 years so I know what the Ethos should be :) - I would love to have a Black Ops Squad with the quote Swift Silent Deadly....

Looking forward to this.

cheers
Crow

Quoted from RSI Thread:

Thanks to Google translate, I summoned this suggestion: Una Transire, Asinus Bolum
Which should roughly translate to: One Pass, Haul Ass. Which is roughly what the recon guys will be doing.

If the artist is still available, I like to suggest a general slogan that I wanna see.
"Road to Orion goes through Tiber" And since I had google translate up right now: Lorem ire per Tiberim ad Orionem