Skip to main content You are either not logged in or not registered with our community. Click here to register.

WikiFullscreen ChatVoice Chat (Discord)Org PageF.A.Q.

Topic: OPPF Merchandise Store (Design Phase) (Read 12575 times) previous topic - next topic

• ArbitrarySketch
  • [*][*][*]
OPPF Merchandise Store (Design Phase)
Hello to all of Pitchfork!

I'm in a phase where I am looking to reboot the merchandise store, expand the variety, and make it more visible and accessible.  To that end, I have come up with a list of several items I am willing to fund and move forward with supplying.  I'm hitting some roadblocks on a few, so I'm turning to the community for additional resources.  I'd like to get designs, ideas, and resources lined up in this design phase before moving on to quotes, prototypes, and manufacturing.  The thread will be updated at each phase change.

Medals and Ribbons (Quoted, need final design)

The first thing on my list is Military Style OPPF Campaign Ribbons and Medals, such as this and this.  I found a great resource with great people at http://legacy.moritzembroidery.com that can do everything for us.  They are very easy to work with.  Still need a consensus on ribbon weave pattern before I can start taking interest tallies and placing an order.  The quotes I received were a $268 setup, then $2.25 per ribbon and $4.25 per medal.  Future orders will not require the setup fee, and larger orders will reduce the price.

T-Shirts (Quoted)
The designs here have been distributed previously.  I have a quote from Progressive Graphics for shirt designs in different quantities and materials:

Two-sided Design (Small OPPF Logo front, 'Meek may inherit the earth' back): $350 setup
70% Cotton, 30% Microfiber: $13 apiece for 100, $11 apiece for 250
100% Cotton: $11 apiece for 100, $9 apiece for 250

One-sided design (Large OPPF Logo Front): $250 setup
70% Cotton, 30% Microfiber: $11 apiece for 100, $9.25 apiece for 250
100% cotton: $9 apiece for 100, $7.25 apiece for 250

We will only use one material type, but whether or not both designs will be available depends on interest.  This will easily be over $1000 of investment on my part per design, so it may only end up being one.

Hats

I could get this made with what is available, but more art to work with would be better.

Patches and Stickers (Designs in progress)

We have Kon-Ellin designing patches for us for different branches and roles of Operation: Pitchfork.  I still need to contact the manufacturer to get a price quote for them.  Designs are still coming in, but they look great so far!

Playing Cards

Inspired by Owtuvammo's post on the RSI Main Thread, I have everything I need to make Vanduul silhouette playing cards.  Since they use CIG IP's, they will likely be given out as free gifts with other purchases.

Posters

We have poster art already available, and it should be easy enough to find a manufacturer for them.  Anyone who wants to submit any other poster art ideas are more than welcome to.  Not all art is promised to be poster-ized.

Computer Floor Mats

Available through JackDaniels, these floormats are resistant to stains and chemicals, protects your floor and/or computer chair, and are built to last.  We can get them printed with our own design, we just need a design to submit and enough interest to fill a minimum order.  But let's start with a design before gauging interest.  The dimensions will be 4'x5'.

Joystick Gloves

I am really excited about this one, but currently locked in the conceptual phase.  I'm looking to design gloves that allow for freedom of movement while reducing the rubbing friction between a hand and a joystick, resulting in warmer hands (warmer hands react faster and with more precision than cold hands) and fewer blisters.  There are several base designs to consider, with the possibility of offering multiple for purchase:

Full Finger
Tipless
Billiard (Also available tipless)
Fishing
Fingerless

Like the ribbons and medals, I am hitting some snags with multiple avenues of approach.

Method 1: Screenprinting a pre-existing model
-This would involve finding a base glove that has no logos on it already and is legal for resale, screenprinting our art onto it, and then redistributing.  This would probably be more cost efficient, but it would depend on finding a design that we like, is art-free, and legal to resell.   Joystick gloves currently do not exist, so there is no base with that activity in mind.

Method 2: Hiring a freelance designer
-This would be more expensive, but would allow us to design the gloves however we want, like adding the right amount of grip, padding in the right places, and fine tune it to be specifically for use as a gaming glove.  The main issue here is not cost (I am willing to fund it), but the fact that I know nothing about hiring a designer or getting a prototype manufactured.  If anyone has insight into that process, that would make this option more viable.

Also, art for screenprinting or embroidery is needed.  Open for anything.

Towels

Great, simple idea.  Need artwork, and I'll be looking for a potential manufacturer if Progressive Graphics can't do it.  A Star Citizen towel would be cool and simple, but we'd have to wait for the merchandising program to launch before we could get away with that.
_________________________________________________________________________________

Again, this is just the design phase.  We are currently just assembling our resources and artwork.  Once that is done, we can start gauging actual interest in the objects based on prototyped samples and price quotes.  Due to some legal concerns, we can't do everything we want to just yet, but I have been told there will be a merchandising program going on after TNGSS that will allow us to get a license to do what we want with it.  This stuff may not be available until that time, but I would like to have everything ready to go by then. 

SO!  If anyone has any opinions, resources, links, artwork, or information they can contribute to the above concepts, I would be more than grateful for the input.  If anyone has any other product ideas, feel free to post them here!  Thanks!

-Sketch
  • Last Edit: April 16, 2014, 03:10:24 PM by ArbitrarySketch

Medals, Ribbons, T-Shirts, Patches, Coins, Pins available!!

Be sure to add your ships, resources, and organization to the Operation: Pitchfork Assets List

Re: OPPF Merchandise Store (Design Phase)
Reply #1
So glad to be a part of this!

Computer floor mats sounds AWESOME!

Will keep ideas coming :D

Reply #2
T-shirts. Just imagine.

Front: "I went to Orion and all I got was this crappy T-shirt!"
Back: "As well as TAKING BACK HUMAN TERRITORY"

Front: "I went to Tiber and all I got was this crappy T-shirt!"
Back: "...and a Kingship."

Front: "The meek shall inherit the Earth"
Back: "The rest of us will go to Orion" (or however its worded in that poster in one of the other threads)
United Space Confederation Envoy to Operation Pitchfork
Envoy, USC
XO, USC Defense Force Training Command
Member, USC Interstellar Commerce
Member, USC Expeditionary Corps
Member, USC Department of Aerospace Engineering

Aurora LX (Traveller's Tales)
Anvil F7C-M (Ares' Gauntlet)
Anvil Carrack (Grey-Eyed Goddess)
Aegis Vanguard (Hero for Hire)
Anvil Crucible (Rustoff)

• ArbitrarySketch
  • [*][*][*]
Reply #3
T-Shirts are definitely on the table, we'll just need to see if we are still going to use the designs and manufacturer from the old thread or get them made at Progressive Graphics (Where I may be able to get us a discount)

When I have time to get on photoshop, I'll start going through the Artwork thread and maybe make a few preliminary product mock-ups.
  • Last Edit: March 12, 2014, 04:56:05 PM by ArbitrarySketch

Be sure to add your ships, resources, and organization to the Operation: Pitchfork Assets List

Reply #4
When are we looking for designs to be entered and to be judged?

~DFM?
would look great in our tops while flying :D

• Shank
  • [*][*][*]
  • Enrolled
Reply #5
"Towels" this was something that was tossed around at the same time the shirt and a million others were.
             The 42 million goal of a towel in the hangar reminded me of it.
             We had talked about some with just the logo of OP and/or other artwork.

"Bomber Jackets" This was also tossed around, but the cost was a concern for some.

"Wind Breakers & Hoodies"

"Dew Rags"

• Benjamin the Rogue
  • [*][*][*]
  • Staff
Reply #6
I totally want an OPPF towel now.

• ArbitrarySketch
  • [*][*][*]
Reply #7
Towel is a great idea!  I'll add it to the list!

Reply #8
Whats the minimum amount we would need to order for each product?

• ArbitrarySketch
  • [*][*][*]
Reply #9

Whats the minimum amount we would need to order for each product?
I do not know.  Right now everything is in the design phase.  Prices and minimum orders will come later.  I'm hoping to make this more visible for the Pitchfork community so that minimum orders will be easier to fill.

• Shadowma
  • [*][*][*]
  • Enrolled
Reply #10
Hi was thinking maybe a beret with UEE navy special forces patch for us pilots/groundpounders ,
& like I was saying currently putting my own flight jacket together with my wife's help lol!
Just waiting for a map of tiber system to come out as I will be putting this on the back of my jacket
with the words tiber system above map & the words operation pitchfork on the bottom, then was thinking
UEE navy patch on left shoulder & maybe a hornet patch on the right shoulder & name plate on left chest side of
jacket. Just fyi I purchased jacket MA-1 flight jacket for $32 & beret for $14 at MilitarySurplusDirect.com.
So let me know what you think.

Shadowma 

• ArbitrarySketch
  • [*][*][*]
Reply #11
I am all for patches.  The limitation is that we cannot recreate any that CIG made (https://robertsspaceindustries.com/pledge/patches).  The UEE Special Forces beret, though, is a good idea!  We still have a lot of options for patches.

Operation Pitchfork patch with smaller patches for:
Fighter
Bomber
Boarding Crew ("Knock-Knock")
Logistics
Salvage
Search and Rescue
Recon

These could be "add-on" patches that connect to the main patch or completely separate, Pitchfork Logo optional.

Ship Patches or non OPPF patches might be a possibility with the merchandising program.

Reply #12
When I get some time im gonna upload my concepts for a teeshirt

• Benjamin the Rogue
  • [*][*][*]
  • Staff
Reply #13
I think logistical people should be referred to as logs, or log rollers. Just because that would make for a great patch. We should make a post in the Art section to get some people to generate patches for all of the different roles.

Reply #14

Basic ideas

• Benjamin the Rogue
  • [*][*][*]
  • Staff
Reply #15
We do have some products designed in the current OPPF Merchantman Store. The only problem with that company is that they don't ship internationally, so we'd need someone State-side or in Canada to collect the overseas orders in bulk and then ship them off to their designated customers.

If we can find a website as useful and varied as that one for product design that also ships overseas, it would simplify the process quite a bit.

I can't wait until CIG creates that product design lab.

• Benjamin the Rogue
  • [*][*][*]
  • Staff
Reply #16
I was just talking to the CustomInk customer service people, and I rather like them. I ordered a print of the oppf1 design to see how it looks. It cost me $25.25 for the one shirt, and it's going to be a digital print, but for larger orders they have a different printing method and a different price per shirt. I should be getting the shirt in next Friday, so I'll let you know how it is.

They have a lot of products to choose from. If we could figure out a way to have someone designated the shipper for overseas people, I'd prefer to use these guys.

Also, we need to get on our artists to make vector copies their designs, since that's the best version for translating into the real world.
  • Last Edit: March 15, 2014, 05:03:37 AM by Benjamin the Rogue

• Andy_H
  • [*][*][*]
  • Enrolled
  • NMC Ambassasdor.
Reply #17
Not an artist, but maybe someone can make some of these suggestions work (and I'm sure someone can do better.)

T-Shirt-
Front Breast Logo: Operation Pitchfork
Back: "Vanduul Hunting Club"  2nd line: "Forgiveness via Fusion Cannon."

Slogans for logos-

Fighter: "Hogging the Glory for 1,000 years."
Bomber: "Turning war machines into salvage in job lots."
Boarding Crew: "Traditional insanity since the Age of Sail"
Logistics: "We make 'S*** Happens' possible."
Salvage: "It's not looting. It's riot cleanup."
Search and Rescue "Your 2nd, 3rd and 4th chances for vengeance."
Recon: "First on site. Last on sanity."

• Benjamin the Rogue
  • [*][*][*]
  • Staff
Reply #18
I like these. Could use some tweaking, but that's a very good start.

Fighter: Could use a few more options for this one.
Bomber: I like the idea, but I think the wording needs a little work.
Boarding Crew: Boarding was a fun time occupation since the Bronze Age. It's probably the oldest naval military traditions since we started putting things that float on water. But I like the idea. Just a tweak or two.
Logistics: I like "We make shit happen" but then again, we probably want to have a more PG version for the official version, the more vulture one can be shared by the personnel.
Salvage: I like it. Maybe try a few more and see if we get anything else.
S&R: I love it. Let's see if we can come up with some more.
Recon: Perfect.

• Benjamin the Rogue
  • [*][*][*]
  • Staff
Reply #19
Got a reply from CustomInk after my phone disconnected. Here's what we're looking at for getting the sample shirts. They're more expensive because they're single orders. Also, for the oppf2, 4, and 6 shirts I need vector files of that art to get them printed in that size.

Hi Benjamin!

Thank you for visiting CustomInk! I think our call was disconnected and I tried to leave a message when I called the number back but the voicemail seems to be full. No matter, I was able to get a quote up for you:

Quote for "oppf2"

2 Color Front | 0 Color Back

Item 1. Gildan Ultra Cotton T-shirt -- Black
  1 M
  1 @ $24.75 each

Total for 1 piece $24.75

Quote 2

Item 1. Hanes Beefy-T -- Black
  1 M
  1 @ $26.75 each

Total for 1 piece $26.75

Quote 3

Item 1. Gildan Ultra Cotton Long Sleeve T-shirt -- Black
  2 M
  2 @ $28.60 each

Total for 2 pieces $57.20

Quote 4

2 Color Front | 1 Color Back

Item 1. Gildan Ultra Cotton Long Sleeve T-shirt -- Black
  1 M
  1 @ $36.75 each

Total for 1 piece $36.75

Quote 5

2 Color Front | 1 Color Back

Item 1. Gildan Ultra Cotton T-shirt -- Black
  1 M
  1 @ $32.75 each

Total for 1 piece $32.75

Total for 6 pieces $205.25

Let me know what you think, I know this is a lot of information but feel free to call back in or you can reply to this email if you have any further questions or concerns!

You can also attach your vectored art work in this email if you would like. Sorry again for getting disconnected!

Thanks!

Samantha Mackowiak
T-shirt Ambassador
CustomInk Service/Sales
sales: 800-293-4232
direct: 855-285-6185
service@customink.com
  • Last Edit: March 15, 2014, 05:03:18 AM by Benjamin the Rogue

• ArbitrarySketch
  • [*][*][*]
Reply #20
Before you order T-Shirts from there, let me see what kind of quote I can get from Progressive Graphics.

• Benjamin the Rogue
  • [*][*][*]
  • Staff
Reply #21
Roger that. I used some higher end material for some of the shirts with CustomInk, so it might not be fair to compare some of them to other shirts. Take a look at their site at CustomInk and try to build a shirt to more equally compare to Progressive Graphics.

Reply #22
Fighter: Tip of the Spear!
Bomber: We make things go boom.
Boarding Crew: Can haz ships?
Logistics: No Gas, No Glory!
Salvage: Because cleaning up aisle 5 doesn't make me several thousand dollars.
S&R: Live to fight another day, To kill all the Vacon that gets in your way.
Recon: Eyes open.
Envoy, USC

Anvil Crucible (Rustoff)

• ArbitrarySketch
  • [*][*][*]
Reply #23
I can see some of these slogans making good bumper stickers or patches.  We need some graphic artists though.

Reply #24

I can see some of these slogans making good bumper stickers or patches.  We need some graphic artists though.

I would totally get a, "My other vehicle is a [Hornet silhouette]" bumper sticker.
Envoy, USC

Anvil Crucible (Rustoff)