Skip to main content You are either not logged in or not registered with our community. Click here to register.

WikiFullscreen ChatVoice Chat (Discord)Org PageF.A.Q.

Topic: Ideas for in instance battle tactics and formations (Read 1274 times) previous topic - next topic

• TEUTknight
  • [*][*][*]
  • Enrolled
Ideas for in instance battle tactics and formations
Before I begin I would like to say that anyone and everyone can post their own ideas as well as comments on another person's idea.

I have created this topic since DFM is upcoming soon (ish) and that this presents an opportunity to come up with ideas for battle tactics and formations whilst in instance that we can test to prove if they are effective or not.

As of now I only have one idea but I will continue brainstorming for further ideas.

1. Once Constellations have launched missiles a group of (at least 5-8) Constellations form a Cantabrian circle ( or perhaps a revision of it since this will be in space and not on ground) whilst shooting with their turrets. It could make them a harder target to hit.

Re: Ideas for in instance battle tactics and formations
Reply #1

I have created this topic since DFM is upcoming soon (ish)

They said that last year :P

Anyhow, this seems like a great idea, maybe train squads Vs lone wolves if thats possible, as the will induce comms and some practice to both parties rather than just a single squad.

Reply #2
I think we should also include the most basic of ideas out there... which is wingmen. There's several tactical advantages of having an ally with you! While solo-flying will always be the most "elegant" and "fashionable", I'd prefer to have a pal backing me up.

Perhaps we should research wingman tactics and see how we can apply them to the DFM.
It's a penguin... with a gun. I'd run if I were you.

Reply #3

Perhaps we should research wingman tactics and see how we can apply them to the DFM.

this will help.

Reply #4
I like the circle idea. A similar tactic was used by MiGs in Vietnam sometimes. Was hard for American planes to get lock-ons for their heat-seekers because there was another MiG drawing a bead on the American fighter.
United Space Confederation Envoy to Operation Pitchfork
Envoy, USC
XO, USC Defense Force Training Command
Member, USC Interstellar Commerce
Member, USC Expeditionary Corps
Member, USC Department of Aerospace Engineering

Aurora LX (Traveller's Tales)
Anvil F7C-M (Ares' Gauntlet)
Anvil Carrack (Grey-Eyed Goddess)
Aegis Vanguard (Hero for Hire)
Anvil Crucible (Rustoff)

• Ratu
  • [*][*][*]
  • Enrolled
Reply #5
The circle idea does sound good. We could also possibly do firing grids with our capships' main guns, create a wall of death for the enemy before splitting to engage at will. Don't know how feasible this actually is but its an idea.

You DO have to be very careful with a circle of death though lest you shoot your companions on the other side of the circle.

I'll try and dig out my old training docs from the FS2 days. I had a good amount of stuff on space combat, most of it should be applicable.

• TEUTknight
  • [*][*][*]
  • Enrolled
Reply #6
I was planning that while the constellations were rotating in the front half of the circle, they would be firing on large vessels, and while the constellations are rotating in the back half, they would be shooting at enemy fighters and fast enemy bombers. Hopefully this should prevent possible friendly fire, guess we will find out in the DFM.