Skip to main content You are either not logged in or not registered with our community. Click here to register.

WikiFullscreen ChatVoice Chat (Discord)Org PageF.A.Q.

Topic: Intelligence, Research and Data Analysis Center (Read 18442 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Intelligence, Research and Data Analysis Center
Reply #25

While I agree in-flight notes for position relative to major landmarks, current leg/next leg and intercept details are important, I'm trying to keep the "short" form simple for the majority of players.

Again, I'm not against adding/changing fields, just trying to clarify information intent.  I've posted a 10-4-C question about flight logs/recorders to see where the team is currently thinking on these things.  As their answer will help to better plan what we can leave to the system to capture and what we need to ask for in any data forms.

Great, well the position thing will also depend on what system CIG themself will have in place.  In freelancer for example there were maps with grids and such. Ther might be something similar in SC or there might not be... THat will probably be something to be adjusted on the fly when actually working with it.

Also great idea for the 10-4-C!

For the "management review", I think we're saying the same thing, group leaders look at the suggestions/requested data mission and either agree or disagree to pass it on to their teams.  This could be simply helping to add flight missions to whatever log/system is in-place, up to staging coordinated flight plans.

Yeah, it will really depend on our internal structure and volunteers. But we could see if something can be set up like that.

Finally from the time-stamp values, to keep it simple, I was planning to leave it at the person's local time index.  A server can capture regional information when you post/submit, so all times can be adjust to a specific regional time automatically in the data log.

Still a large portion of the public that doesn't deal with GMT conversion correctly, and would rather they enter local time and let the system do the work for them.  That way if there is an error, it's consistent!  :D

Lol yeah that is one of the mundane things that can actually get very complicated real fast, but the solution you are suggesting sounds very good :-)

• Hussars
  • [*][*][*]
  • Enrolled
Reply #26
Hopefully the game server will just timestamp things for us, or at least support a /time feature, but at least we have options :)
People say the 'verse is a hard place, that she'll just as soon leave you for dead as to help you.  I think that she must truly love us in order to hate us so much.

Reply #27
We are still working on a report system but in recent days I have also been thinking about ways to show output. One way could be with a shared map. In real life we have for example the stratfor naval updat map:

That tracks US navy carriers. Perhaps we can create something like this for Pitchfork with Vanduul assets. A shared dynamic map, that we can use to show the most recent intelligence on Vanduul assets and perhaps also to show their flight patterns (if they are not stationary). This map would have to be on system level and be rather detailed.

I quickly made a small example how such a map could look, based on the freelancer systems (specifically the brittanian systems), keep in mind that 1. I quickly threw this together so scale and such are the default size of the assets I found. 2. Freelancer had both jumpholes and jumpgates so there are 2 different connections between systems (where Starcitizen will just have 1):

My idea is to create also such a map for Star Citizen once the systems and ingame maps become available. What would still need time to figure out are:

- What possibilities are there to make such a map shared and updated
- How to show different Vanduul assets
- How to show flight patterns

Reply #28
We have time, there is suppose to be a shared in game map available to orgs at some point. I would suggest pinging the Ask a developer for some more in site of what that will look like

Pitchfork Belongs to all of us

• Malt
  • [*][*][*]
  • Enrolled
Reply #29
Note: When I started this I intended it for this "Intelligence, Research and Data Analysis Center" thread but it soon started to branch out into other areas and implications such as logistics, weaponry choice, fleet tactics, bomber tactics and so on. If you pilots think it strays too far from this thread's scope then I will make a separate thread for it, otherwise I hope I have contributed.

Enemy Capital Ship/Station Vulnerabilities

Main Presuppositions:

1.1 All ships contain rendered objects that correlate to the functions of that ship. ie: The Main Thrusters are a physical object connected to the ship that provide thrust, Avionics are rendered as an object that provides electronics (communications navigation, the display), Weapons are physical objects that you fire, etc.

1.2 Damage models for these rendered objects result in various states of disrepair affecting the combat effectiveness of a ship.

1.3 Focused firepower upon critical areas of a ship is the best/quickest route to victory once combat has commenced.

Main Theory / The Problem We Face:

What I am proposing is a concerted effort on the part of members of Operation Pitchfork to research the specific physical vulnerabilities of Vanduul ships. What we have proposed so far have been experiments to test Vanduul reactions to our incursions. These range from reactions to our ship types, incursion sizes and locations of incursions. The answers to these questions inform us as to the expected threats we face and what force compositions will invite particular responses.

However the question I propose is "What is the most effective way to deal with those threats?"

I am suggesting a concerted effort to determine the 'critical path' of destruction or combat ineffectiveness of Vanduul ships.

Principally I am interested in larger ships. Our most numerous foe will be the Scythe and due to its small size just putting rounds or energy on target will quickly take down its shield and hull. All its sub-systems will be closely packed together and behind relatively light Armour so sniping is a secondary consideration. It and other small Vanduul space craft are also the Vanduul ships our pilots will have the most experience in engaging so exacting experiments while useful have a very low margin of utility.

However our pilots will, in contrast, have very limited experience engaging the larger ships, in particular capital ships. This is a huge stumbling block which raises serious problems:

2.1 The longer the enemy capital ships are combat effective the higher our losses will be.
2.2 Ineffective bombing runs wastes missiles and torpedoes, placing greater pressure on our logistics.
2.3 When we do cause enemy capital ships to be combat ineffective there may not be much left to salvage/capture due to the haphazard attack.
2.4 Instead of just disabling a capital ship and waiting to destroy it when we are ready we destroy it outright, opening slots in the instance for more enemy reinforcements, robbing us a chance for a breather mid-battle.

Chris Roberts has confirmed that if a weapon penetrates the hull of a ship and passes into or through a physical sub-system of that ship that sub-system will suffer damage. With a capital ship this has major implications for the application of firepower. A bomber wing that fires torpedoes in a wide spread across a Vanduul ship may damage the hull somewhat and may hit a few sub-systems but leave the ship still operational or waste so many torpedoes in the pursuit of its destruction that our logistics chain will be quickly exhausted. If however we can determine where the main Engine or Powerplant of a Vanduul capital ship is located we can apply firepower directly upon this location to quickly render this ship impotent and drifting.

Side note: This has implications for choice of torpedoes: High penetration and low damage torpedoes being used in a pin point manner may be more effective that low-medium penetration torpedoes doing High-Medium damage being used to slowly whittle down the hull of a Vanduul ship.

If we can agree to the above them it leads us to the seeking of an answer to this question.

Proposed Solution:

To gather this information we need to:

3.1 Have high grade sensors that can analyse enemy ships, their sub-system damage states or if that is not possible watch for when power output plummets.
3.2 Apply (different) firepower and observe its effects.

I can see two main avenues for our experiments:

4.1 (Easy approach) Iterations in a Squadron 42 mission where you engage enemy capital ships. If the ship that you are provided by the UEE is capable of both of the above then it will be quite easy to repeat the mission until you pinpoint the location of the subsystem and the weapons that most quickly result in its destruction or disabling. Only cost is time as if you die the mission just restarts and you can try all over again.

4.2 (Hard approach) Heading into Vanduul space and attacking enemy capital ships with expensive sensor carrying recon forces observing torpedo attacks from our bombers. High degree of risk and cost associated with this approach.

(Kinda cheating approach) Data-mining or equivalent analysis of game data to figure out where these vulnerabilities are located.

Armed with this information we can then mock up visuals for our forces so they know where to engage and what with to achieve a quick victory that minimises losses and torpedo wasteage while leaving relatively intact Vanduul ships for us to board or destroy at our leisure.

Below is an example of what I would like to see our intelligence services achieve.

• Last Edit: April 17, 2014, 08:04:42 AM by Malt

Reply #30
Most excellent points Malt  :) I have been thinking along the lines of such endeavors to in the future answer basic questions like: 'how many torpedoes does (and should) it take to bring down a Vanduul Destroyer/Cruiser/Carrier?' Both in the most efficient way to destroy or possibly capture such ships.

It will depend highly on our capacity to obtain the necessary data, I hope that individual ships will end up capable of sharing information they gather with their sensors and it is indeed smart to deploy a strikeforce with some dedicater observers aboard some ships. Like in either multicrew ships like the Lancer and Connie or in second seats of Superhornets and Cutlasses.

I like the idea of visuals it would be interesting to use those and make dossiers of ship classes, detailing observed weak spots and such that we can share among the participants.

I'm putting it on the list of research plans i'm working on.

• Andy_H
  • [*][*][*]
  • Enrolled
  • NMC Ambassasdor.
Reply #31
We could also use edited screenshots from 3rd person mode to highlight locations of various weapon mounts and thrusters, ect. Especially the shield generator. Also a priority should be which angles of attack are where point defenses are thinnest to allow more high-yield torpedoes to impact on shields.

• Hussars
  • [*][*][*]
  • Enrolled
Reply #32
Sorry I've been MIA recently.

I'll be working on the form and db more in the next few days (barring major issues w/real life lol).

Looking back on it, thinking I might want to rebuild it later to be a bit easier to use/more concise, but that would be more of a "day-2" kind of thing.

If there is any more feedback on the current form, feel free to PM me or post it here.
People say the 'verse is a hard place, that she'll just as soon leave you for dead as to help you.  I think that she must truly love us in order to hate us so much.

Reply #33

Sorry I've been MIA recently.

I'll be working on the form and db more in the next few days (barring major issues w/real life lol).

Looking back on it, thinking I might want to rebuild it later to be a bit easier to use/more concise, but that would be more of a "day-2" kind of thing.

If there is any more feedback on the current form, feel free to PM me or post it here.

No problem :) as I said before real life comes first.  ;)

I have been working on sifting through the comm links for literature study and have been in contact with Zuur about his Star Map. He is working on his version 2.0 which sounded really amazing and usable for the operation

Reply #34
Intelligence Report
Compiled by Cpt K. Vorban, Spectre Squadron

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Orion:

At least 2 unexplored jump points, believed to snake core-ward
- High Priority, could be a quiet way in and out, records
state that one lies on the "far side" of the orion system

Small underground settlement of humans still on Armitage. No interest in
trading, except maybe basic supplies, nothing for sale.
- Possible landing zone for re-supply.

Gold and Platinum deposits can be found in asteroid belt, perhaps worth
taking a small mining team?

Cities themselves are ruins, being reclaimed by nature, no strategic value
at this time.

Enemy Forces:

Numbers and strength unknown.

"Vanduul forays are becoming increasingly uncommon. The best tip
to engage the Vanduul here is that you should attack when they arrive
in the system rather than as they are leaving; Vanduul only visit feeder
worlds when they are low on supplies and are of reduced combat
efficiency. But even a starving Vanduul is the greatest challenge
a fighter pilot can face"
- Best to attack as enemy enters system low on supplies, but
beware of desperation tactics.

Recommendation: Operation Haystack
Advanced Recon and Scout Mission

Objectives:

1). Locate and map the 2 unknown jump points - High Priority
2). Ascertain enemy strength, numbers and location in the area - High Priority
3). Investigate human colony on Armitage for possible LZ - Low Priority
4). Discover if mining the asteroid belt is worth the risk - Optional

Source(s): <a href="https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/13061-Jump-Point-Orion-System">Galactic Public Records[/url]
Report End/

Submitted to Sailor, Chief Coordinator of Operation Pitchfork, for review.
  • Last Edit: May 12, 2014, 05:25:05 AM by Sabotage

Reply #35

Intelligence Report
Compiled by Cpt K. Vorban, Spectre Squadron

Orion:

At least 2 unexplored jump points, believed to snake core-ward
- High Priority, could be a quiet way in and out, records
state that one lies on the "far side" of the orion system

Small underground settlement of humans still on Armitage. No interest in
trading, except maybe basic supplies, nothing for sale.
- Possible landing zone for re-supply.

Gold and Platinum deposits can be found in asteroid belt, perhaps worth
taking a small mining team?

Cities themselves are ruins, being reclaimed by nature, no strategic value
at this time.

Enemy Forces:

Numbers and strength unknown.

"Vanduul forays are becoming increasingly uncommon. The best tip
to engage the Vanduul here is that you should attack when they arrive
in the system rather than as they are leaving; Vanduul only visit feeder
worlds when they are low on supplies and are of reduced combat
efficiency. But even a starving Vanduul is the greatest challenge
a fighter pilot can face"
- Best to attack as enemy enters system low on supplies, but
beware of desperation tactics.

Recommendation: Operation Haystack
Advanced Recon and Scout Mission

Objectives:

1). Locate and map the 2 unknown jump points - High Priority
2). Ascertain enemy strength, numbers and location in the area - High Priority
3). Investigate human colony on Armitage for possible LZ - Low Priority
4). Discover if mining the asteroid belt is worth the risk - Optional

Source(s): <a href="https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/13061-Jump-Point-Orion-System">Galactic Public Records[/url]
Report End/

Submitted to Sailor, Chief Coordinator of Operation Pitchfork, for review.

Hello Sabotage :-)

A good descriptive intelligence report. What it lacks is quantitative date (ship numbers and such), but for an exploration missian qualitative data is more suited anyways and the format is very usable for qualitative data reports.

Reply #36

Hello Sabotage :-)

A good descriptive intelligence report. What it lacks is quantitative date (ship numbers and such), but for an exploration missian qualitative data is more suited anyways and the format is very usable for qualitative data reports.

Enemy numbers, strength etc. can only be gathered by recon missions as "hard Intel", which is going to be one of my first missions when the PU goes active. The report submitted is based off the Intel available to us right now from public records, and what i refer to as "soft Intel"

Recon reports will be much longer, more detailed and fleshed out.

Vanduul Swarm in Arena Commander will be an excellent source of Intel on enemy tactics, strengths, weaknesses etc.

• Hussars
  • [*][*][*]
  • Enrolled
Reply #37

Enemy numbers, strength etc. can only be gathered by recon missions as "hard Intel", which is going to be one of my first missions when the PU goes active. The report submitted is based off the Intel available to us right now from public records, and what i refer to as "soft Intel"

Recon reports will be much longer, more detailed and fleshed out.

Vanduul Swarm in Arena Commander will be an excellent source of Intel on enemy tactics, strengths, weaknesses etc.

Good thing I was able to spend a bit of time getting a working After Action Report in place finally lol

For those wanting to test it: http://paradoxflaw.com/aar_test.html

The submit actually works, and I can run reports on the data submitted, but there is minimal (and I mean minimal) formatting for now.  This is just to make sure we have the basics covered for information, the presentation piece comes after.

I'll be adding more in the way of error messages (form validation), a simple recaptcha/anti-bot system, turning auto-complete on, and such as I get time, but this at least gives you a working sample.

If there are any designers wanting to take a shot at making this form pretty, let me know and we can work out the details.
  • Last Edit: June 16, 2014, 12:20:58 AM by Hussars

• JackDaniels
  • [*][*][*]
  • Enrolled
  • Former - Shout Box Lurker & Forum - Admin
Reply #38

Good thing I was able to spend a bit of time getting a working After Action Report in place finally lol

The submit actually works, and I can run reports on the data submitted, but there is minimal (and I mean minimal) formatting for now.  This is just to make sure we have the basics covered for information, the presentation piece comes after.

I'll be adding more in the way of error messages (form validation), a simple recaptcha/anti-bot system, turning auto-complete on, and such as I get time, but this at least gives you a working sample.

If there are any designers wanting to take a shot at making this form pretty, let me know and we can work out the details.

You may want to attempt this AAR into another thread so you can get further input and what not on the topic ... so that the IRDAC doesn't get to many side tracks. Plus this is your work after all best to advertise it in it's own thread.
2j0kx3s.png" width="490

• Hussars
  • [*][*][*]
  • Enrolled
Reply #39

You may want to attempt this AAR into another thread so you can get further input and what not on the topic ... so that the IRDAC doesn't get to many side tracks. Plus this is your work after all best to advertise it in it's own thread.

It is part of the ongoing conversation in the thread, since we're trying to align data gathering with the data we want gathered :)

Thanks again for taking a look and for the suggestions/feedback!

• Vetera
  • [*][*][*]
  • Enrolled
  • The Savior
Reply #40
I volunteer with my Freelancer to investigate the colony on Armitage as one of our LZ's.
"A man who was completely innocent, offered himself as a sacrifice for the good of others, including his enemies, and became the ransom of the world. It was a perfect act."
- Mahatma Gandhi

Reply #41

Great job so far Hussars  :) Looking forward to the future additions. I saw the output and it was like I had in mind! This way would work great for analysis.

@JackDaniels as Hussar also stated, we ultimately want to consolidate the efforts and in the end be able to form a proces that looks a bit like this:

Input -> The form that Hussar is creating
Analysis -> Comparing reports, finding patterns verifying movements and numbers etc
Output -> In simple report form and possibly visualized in the new Starmap Zuur is creating

In the end it is a puzzle that is assembling piece by piece.  ;)

I have been assembling a document for all known Vanduul literature references https://docs.google.com/document/d/1DmrxUG_tnxKa0bHRKFxfENwKZ8INDbOl7PgzgzJ0p7Y/edit

It is currently very rough simply copy and pasting, it will be fleshed out as time goes on
  • Last Edit: June 16, 2014, 05:12:00 AM by Marcus ImpaleMan

• Hussars
  • [*][*][*]
  • Enrolled
Reply #42
Glad you like it.  Now just need someone with a better eye for design than I have to pretty it up.

I'll see if I can get the form validation running before the end of the week as well.  I want to reduce as much "blank" data as possible in those reports.

Any other data we want included, even if it is an optional form/section?

• Andy_H
  • [*][*][*]
  • Enrolled
  • NMC Ambassasdor.
Reply #43
Thanks, Hussars for all that effort in putting this together. Submitted my test report.

• JackDaniels
  • [*][*][*]
  • Enrolled
Reply #44
Well if we are going to consolidate all this ... we could even include a larger comment section and a box for added Details.

Perhaps even a section for squad activities during the trip's. Refueling points, re-arming points. Landing at repair stations for a quick touch up, before getting back into the patrol or action?

It looks good in my opinion. Could always allow more room in the comment section for a page from a Novel.

Get those NCO's use to filling out the paperwork may have a problem with the viewing space for the report details.

Edit: or perhaps increase the section for pilots names as a script option to include added pilots names in a different line compared to the one that is filling the report.

Edit2: or perhaps include for multiple engagements in a same system and possible xyz cordinates or general area quadrants.
  • Last Edit: June 18, 2014, 01:44:17 AM by JackDaniels
2j0kx3s.png" width="490

Reply #45

Well if we are going to consolidate all this ... we could even include a larger comment section and a box for added Details.

Actually the comment section can be expanded by dragging the bottom right ;)

Perhaps even a section for squad activities during the trip's. Refueling points, re-arming points. Landing at repair stations for a quick touch up, before getting back into the patrol or action?

I would suggest for the moment not to put another section like that in, but perhaps ultimately make it so that the encounter section can be used for this.

It looks good in my opinion. Could always allow more room in the comment section for a page from a Novel.

Get those NCO's use to filling out the paperwork may have a problem with the viewing space for the report details.

Edit: or perhaps increase the section for pilots names as a script option to include added pilots names in a different line compared to the one that is filling the report.

Good idea, some more details on the scout flight

Edit2: or perhaps include for multiple engagements in a same system and possible xyz cordinates or general area quadrants.

The idea is that by filling in the number of encounters a sort of drop down menu is created. So if you fill in for example '4 encounters' it would create 4 of such sections to fill in. That way you can also list multiple engagements in the same system.

As for Coordinates that is indeed a good suggestion, thouh currently difficult to say as we do not know yet how CIG will implement them and how we can check them in the game.

• JackDaniels
  • [*][*][*]
  • Enrolled
Reply #46
Some of my suggestions are more on the idea to help simplify the look and feel of the form.

Perhaps adding a note for those programmed to expand automatically.

perhaps setting the comments section to be a 450 x 250 include a note to expand the comment box, for those that fail to notice that it can be helpful too.

a comment box for each encounter. For those that would like to keep it simple for long flights.
2j0kx3s.png" width="490

• Hussars
  • [*][*][*]
  • Enrolled
Reply #47
Okay, I apologize in advance if I jump around a bit, I'm trying to add to points from everyone :)

Fields
All text fields allow for 255 characters currently.  I left it limited for the time being as a test while we decide what we want on the form and how much should be expected/allowed.

For field sizes, I can reset all text fields to allow for the re-sizing like the Comments field allows if you think it would be useful.  But as I mention later, I'm trying to make it easier for any designers who might setup in to work on the actual look/feel of the form.

Once we have everything designed and we're doing final mock-ups, I'll add a clear notes/details block for the fields.  I've not done so yet because I'm not a graphic artist/designer, so didn't want to make it harder for anyone who wanted to take on the CSS/format/design portions.  I should also be able to provide "mouse-overs" on fields, but will need to see how that works for browser compatibility modes.

General Form Discussion
Currently I'm looking at ways to do the auto-append more gracefully than a simple forced append as I don't do much with forms normally, so this a good learning experience at the same time.  Ideally I'd like to have an "Add Another Encounter" prompt so they wouldn't even need to list the number of encounters, simply fill out the form and if they need more reporting hit the button to add a section.

This also allows for us to dictate a basic form with the option for the user to go into as much detail as they like (i.e. they can add additional specific sections that they want to report on).  Something like using tax software where the form prompts you to add information for specific deductions and such.  I could do it the cheat way, add those section behind a collapse tag, and just not make them required.

Until I find a way to do that though, without making it a true application, I'm thinking to limit the number of encounters on a single report to a preset level, maybe 5?  More than that and the reporter is not likely remember enough details to really be useful anyway.
  • Last Edit: June 18, 2014, 01:33:00 PM by Hussars

• yukikaze503
  • [*][*][*]
  • Staff
  • Enlistment Officer
Reply #48

Armed with this information we can then mock up visuals for our forces so they know where to engage and what with to achieve a quick victory that minimises losses and torpedo wasteage while leaving relatively intact Vanduul ships for us to board or destroy at our leisure.

Below is an example of what I would like to see our intelligence services achieve.

Highlighting vunerabilities will help sink enemy ships faster, but just as important are its offensive capabilities.

Below is allied intel on the Imperial Japanese battleship Nagato. It displays her shapes and sizes, attack angles, armament with details like calibre, range and elevation, protection and propulsion.

Nagato and her twin-sister Mutsu.

These templates could be easily modified to display additional information such as the location of critical components like in the quoted picture. this way our pilots can be informed about their adversaries in a nice simple and condensed way. giving them everything they need to know, what to avoid and what to aim for, and how.
  • Last Edit: June 18, 2014, 06:00:17 PM by yukikaze503

• Hussars
  • [*][*][*]
  • Enrolled
Reply #49

Highlighting vunerabilities will help sink enemy ships faster, but just as important are its offensive capabilities.

Below is allied intel on the Imperial Japanese battleship Nagato. It displays her shapes and sizes, attack angles, armament with details like calibre, range and elevation, protection and propulsion.

Nagato and her twin-sister Mutsu.

These templates could be easily modified to display additional information such as the location of critical components like in the quoted picture. this way our pilots can be informed about their adversaries in a nice simple and condensed way. giving them everything they need to know, what to avoid and what to aim for, and how.

Would be interesting to also provide short video footage/clips of combat styles/operational performance of the ships in question.  Stats are good, but seeing them in action is better :)