Skip to main content You are either not logged in or not registered with our community. Click here to register.

WikiFullscreen ChatVoice Chat (Discord)Org PageF.A.Q.

Topic: Pithfor Coin: Front Image (Read 3436 times) previous topic - next topic

Pithfor Coin: Front Image
As there has been some debate on the subject I thought it would make sense to open a poll for the front of the coin so as not to introduce confusion in the poll for the rear image.

There are two main options that have been discussed, one is the Pitchfork emblem as is currently in use on the renders. the other is to replace this with the Pitchfork logo. I have included images of each below.

Option one, the Pitchfork emblem:
(Render of initial concept with the Emblem on both sides)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Xuqm5cj_NI

Option two, the Pitchfork Logo:

• Last Edit: November 03, 2013, 06:18:29 PM by Benjamin the Rogue

Re: Pithfor Coin: Front Image
Reply #1
I have my own arguments on this, but I felt that they didn't belong in the opening post and I've stated them elsewhere, I'll include the relevant quotes here.

As for the front image I'd really prefer the emblem rather than the crossed pitchforks, I just think don't think it will work as well. With the emblem you have a purely circular design that can blend seamlessly with the rest of the coin, whereas with the crossed forks you'd have to have it surrounded by a field which would break up the design. That's not to say the logo is bad (not at all, it's awesome), I just think the emblem woks much better in this instance.

I got the same impression, it has much broader recognition being in the majority of the art that's been made so people are generally want to see it on anything related to OP. I use the fact that it won't fit well as my primary argument, but that fact also brings along a lot of other questions that need to be answered if we end up using it.

With the emblem we have the coin pretty much ready, we just need to settle on the obverse image and the various text options. If we switch to the logo we'll pretty much have to start from scratch, what metal do we want for the base? what color should the field behind the logo be? if we don't use silver for the coin (and I wouldn't the logo should stand out) should we get the option for two tone metal? should the field be smooth? do we want to use one of the surface finishing options?

We would need to get a consensus for each of those questions and probably dozens of others I can't think of at the moment, and I've never seen something designed by committee like that turn out all that well. That's not to say the shouldn't be input into the design, but if we put every little decision up for a vote we'll never get it finished. I suppose there's no rush on getting it done, but my preference would be to get the design done and get the first order in as soon as possible rather than wait till closer to D-Day to place the order.

• Talkyn
  • [*][*][*]
  • Enrolled
Reply #2
I've tossed and turned on this issue.

I can say I've done a 180, and now support the crossed pitchforks logo, with a  couple small tweaks.
We drop the giant "Operation Pitchfork" text.  We can either slightly shrink and curve the text to wrap nicely around the whole logo, or shrink the text way down to go along the top, as in Jaustin89's coin render video.

• Jonais
  • [*][*][*]
  • Enrolled
Reply #3
I agree about the text. I really like the border on the emblem. It lends itself to the coin so I think we would need to modify the logo to have something similar. Currently I like the emblem the best because it lends itself so well to a coin design, so before I vote I'd like to see what the logo design for the coin would be since as it currently is it just doesn't work well for a coin.
Tumbleweeds. A Lone Wolves inspired org.
https://robertsspaceindustries.com/orgs/TUMBLWEEDS

Reply #4
I can't do the logo in inventor (I've tried to make a coin with the SC logo before), there's just too many complex blended curves that run into and cross each other for it to come out looking right.

Edit: I actually just thought of a way that it may work. It's really bad practice and any of my instructors'd kill me if I'd used it in a project for them, but it should work.
  • Last Edit: November 03, 2013, 07:14:32 PM by Jaustin89

Reply #5
Copied the logo as close as I could. It's not an exact match, but it's really close. Seeing it on the coin just reinforces my belief that it doesn't work for this.

• Jonais
  • [*][*][*]
  • Enrolled
Reply #6
That's true... but it IS good actually see what it might look like. It's a great symbol, but not one that's well suited to a coin face, at least not with the operation pitchfork attached to it as well. If the pitchforks were a little shorter and no text it might look ok, but not with any of the other designs we've looked at for the coin.

Edit: Also... real life is often about making it work with the tools at hand, regardless of what the best practices are. Nice work ;)

• Talkyn
  • [*][*][*]
  • Enrolled
Reply #7
Ok, that is awesome  :)

Does anyone else feel that the coin's surface could use a little texture in order to break up the blank space?

Maybe the date could get worked in there somehow,  Like :

Operation

M                   2
A                    0
Y                    1

Pitchfork

• Eleri
  • [*][*][*]
  • Enrolled
Reply #8
I much prefer the emblem to be the face of the coin. It just has a more solid feel to it in my opinion. The crossed forks are good elsewhere, but I really like the striking image of the emblem.

Reply #9

Ok, that is awesome  :)

Does anyone else feel that the coin's surface could use a little texture in order to break up the blank space?

Maybe the date could get worked in there somehow,  Like :

Operation

M                   2
A                    0
Y                    1

Pitchfork

If we do use the date, we won't be able to reuse the die in the future.

• Talkyn
  • [*][*][*]
  • Enrolled
Reply #10

If we do use the date, we won't be able to reuse the die in the future.

There will only be one date for the Operation Pitchfork.

• John_Shepard
  • [*][*][*]
  • Enrolled
  • Devout Follower of Supreme Commander Sailor
Reply #11
I voted for the logo....however after I saw the logo on the coin, I've come full circle back to the emblem.
Emblem all the way.

Reply #12

I voted for the logo....however after I saw the logo on the coin, I've come full circle back to the emblem.
Emblem all the way.

I thought I checked the box to enabled the option to re-vote, did it not come up? If it didn't is there a way one of the mods could change it, it's not in my options to edit the poll.

• Talkyn
  • [*][*][*]
  • Enrolled
Reply #13

Emblem all the way.

Yeah....I'm a flip-flop-osaurus on this one.

I voted logo, but I'm feeling the emblem is the route to go as well.

• Jonais
  • [*][*][*]
  • Enrolled
Reply #14
I had the same problem with one of the polls I posted as well. I thought I had checked it but it didn't come up. The other works ok though.

• Seventeen
  • [*][*][*]
  • Enrolled
  • Pleased to be a lamb to the slaughter for OP
Reply #15
As a graphic designer, I can say that a client would kill you if you gave them the crossed pitchforks. (Then again, they may love you for it because half the time they always prefer the crappier version... :P)

Anyway, the emblem just makes more sense graphically. A personal preference though would be to have 3 prongs instead of 4- each aligned to one of the 3 stars. This is all just IMHO by the way:

Three prongs

• It would be more balanced

• It greatly symbolises our attack on the lines towards the Vanduul star systems (see: http://imageshack.us/a/img28/1576/5au.gif)

• It would mean you wouldn't have to have that 'floating' prong (2nd from the right) hanging there

• There's no need to emulate the pitchforks in the crossed-pitchforks logo

The middle prong would obviously have to be bigger so it doesn't look unbalanced though. I know having them exactly aligned to the stars would mean the pitchfork is narrower though- so perhaps the outer forks don't need to be aligned to the stars? Or, the stars could be scaled up so that their 'points' are aligned to the wider pitchfork? Again, this is just all my opinion :)

With the crossed-pitchforks logo, it always bugged me how the top-left pitchfork wasn't aligned with the vertical axis of the Orion star as well. So yeah, emblem all the way!
  • Last Edit: November 06, 2013, 09:33:55 PM by Seventeen

• Eleri
  • [*][*][*]
  • Enrolled
Reply #16
Making it three prongs would turn it into a trident, or at least appear that way. Also, If you notice, the outer prongs point to the two external stars, while the inner two go to either side of the central star.

If you want symbolism there, imagine it as representative of the way we will envelop Orion from multiple sides xD

Reply #17

As a graphic designer, I can say that a client would kill you if you gave them the crossed pitchforks. (Then again, they may love you for it because half the time they always prefer the crappier version... :P)

Anyway, the emblem just makes more sense graphically. A personal preference though would be to have 3 prongs instead of 4- each aligned to one of the 3 stars. This is all just IMHO by the way:

Three prongs

• It would be more balanced

• It greatly symbolises our attack on the lines towards the Vanduul star systems (see: http://imageshack.us/a/img28/1576/5au.gif)

• It would mean you wouldn't have to have that 'floating' prong (2nd from the right) hanging there

• There's no need to emulate the pitchforks in the crossed-pitchforks logo

The middle prong would obviously have to be bigger so it doesn't look unbalanced though. I know having them exactly aligned to the stars would mean the pitchfork is narrower though- so perhaps the outer forks don't need to be aligned to the stars? Or, the stars could be scaled up so that their 'points' are aligned to the wider pitchfork? Again, this is just all my opinion :)

We apparently think very similar, would it assuage your sensibilities if I told you that the stars are exactly centered between the forks (the fork when thrust forward would pin the stars to a wall)? Also the floating prong was a deliberate design choice by supremacy, if you look at the lines in the fork they form a V and an F for Vengeance Fleet.

With the crossed-pitchforks logo, it always bugged me how the top-left pitchfork wasn't aligned with the vertical axis of the Orion star as well. So yeah, emblem all the way!

Bugged the hell out of me making the 3d version, the crossing point isn't aligned with the center of the circle either.