Skip to main content You are either not logged in or not registered with our community. Click here to register.

WikiFullscreen ChatVoice Chat (Discord)Org PageF.A.Q.

Topic: Operation Pitchfork Physical Edition Coins (Read 23713 times) previous topic - next topic

• Talkyn
  • [*][*][*]
  • Enrolled
Re: Operation Pitchfork Physical Edition Coins
Reply #50
Start date sounds pretty cool as well.  Good idea.

1 more vote against the bust of CR.  I gotta say I practically worship the guy as well, but I think it would be best to keep the coin out of the "Christ Roberts" mentality, especially considering that we owe it to all the talent at CIG that we get to be planning such an amazing event.  As stated I'm 100% for the paper-weight idea for CR.  What about if we get 2 of them and send one to Sailor as well?

No matter what the final decision of the coin layout, I'm sure it will be awesome.  I have to remind myself there is a long time for this to come together.

Random thought.  Pitchfork logo/crest on the front and a ruined Armitage on the back?

• Jonais
  • [*][*][*]
  • Enrolled
Reply #51
Ok, so I got a reply back from their sales team. I got a quote for the Satin Gold with the Embossed Finish as suggested by someone earlier in the thread. Here is the breakdown for 100, 150 and 200 coins. These prices include the shipping from them to a stateside address, but additional shipping would apply from there to their final destination.

$7.53 @ 100
$6.72 @ 150
$6.32 @ 200

For the paperweights they will get back to me on Monday as they need to get the cost to manufacture from their productions department. I asked for a quote on 2 since I figured we'd end up with at least that much. I figure one for Austin and one for LA offices adding one for Sailor isn't a bad idea either. I'll have to readjust the pricing once I get those figures in. Also these are current prices, they may go up or down by the time we get closer to ready to order.
Tumbleweeds. A Lone Wolves inspired org.
https://robertsspaceindustries.com/orgs/TUMBLWEEDS

Reply #52

1 more vote against the bust of CR.  I gotta say I practically worship the guy as well, but I think it would be best to keep the coin out of the "Christ Roberts" mentality, especially considering that we owe it to all the talent at CIG that we get to be planning such an amazing event.  As stated I'm 100% for the paper-weight idea for CR.  What about if we get 2 of them and send one to Sailor as well?

Agreed, the CR bust would be more appropriate for a general SC coin than the Pitchfork coin. I agree on the paper-weights as well, personally I plan to get one myself if we do this. Perhaps if we do this thru kick starter have it as a high tier pledge?

Random thought.  Pitchfork logo/crest on the front and a ruined Armitage on the back?

Now that is a good idea.

• Jonais
  • [*][*][*]
  • Enrolled
Reply #53
I don't know anything about kickstarter, but I don't have a problem taking the orders and then placing a completed order once we get closer to the date and hammer out what we want for the front and back so I can send in the artwork. Taking orders shouldn't be a problem just need to take names and how many coins/paperweights we want to order, then when we decide the cut off date to add paperweights to the order is I can get the total from them for coins/paperweights. I'll probably end up ordering extra coins since I'm sure there will be more people interested after the order is put through and any not ordered can go in the box that goes to the SC staff.

• Jonais
  • [*][*][*]
  • Enrolled
Reply #54
I just took a look at the kickstart site and I don't know that it would work well for us. We'd have to put a specific price/pledge for people to pledge and when we meet our funding goal they take 5% which doesn't seem like much, but that's that much less that would go toward paying for the gifts we give to the SC staff.

• Jonais
  • [*][*][*]
  • Enrolled
Reply #55
Google doc link so we can start getting an idea of numbers

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AjNPF9Zw5PzidGZCYnhvVTJPMlRmQnRUTzVaekpCUkE&usp=sharing

I added the two SC staff paperweights in my order in my total

• Talkyn
  • [*][*][*]
  • Enrolled
Reply #56
I can't edit it Jonais :D

I'm in favor of a simple CO-OP.  My wife is involved in these things all the time for sewing/fabric stuff.  We pick a fellow with some gumption and trustworthiness to place the giant order on our behalf.  He/she receives the massive pile of stuff and subsequently packages and reships the whole lot out to all of us.

If you want, Jonais, I can run the doc.  I'll have to do it tonight since I'm at work atm.  I don't want to take anything away from you, just be useful where I can.  I'd suggest you keep a hard copy at regular intervals, and add a column for a simple donation.  The donation section would be spent on the paper-weights for CR, CIG and Sailor67, with any surplus used as we see fit.  Extra coins for CIG or pledges for SC or whatever.  I'm sure we can vote about it when the time comes.

If this goes the route of a CO-OP, yes it involves trust.  Running the COOP is a pile of work that sometimes ends up taking way longer than the volunteer initially hoped.  It has it's risks, but I think for the size of operation we are talking about here it is the easiest way.  The hardest part will probably figuring out international shipping costs.  I'm up in Canada so I know my coin(s) will cost an bit extra, but guys in the UK/EU will pay a hefty shipping cost.
  • Last Edit: November 01, 2013, 09:47:33 PM by Talkyn

• Jonais
  • [*][*][*]
  • Enrolled
Reply #57
oops, fixed the doc so anyone can edit now. I was wondering why it hadn't been updated yet, lol. It doesn't matter to me either way, I just wanted to go out and find a price point so everyone had an idea about the cost if this became a serious endeavor. I think I like the donation idea better than what I thought up (roll the cost into the initial batch). That way we can also use any additional donations to bring down the overall price by putting the extra into the molding cost (in the event we have a second run) or do something cool like give out ships, skins, credits or other stuff if we end up with enough extra. Although by the time we do the coins I think everyone will be pretty well set ship wise so putting extra toward the cost of the molds might be the best action. Anywho... I'm rambling now, lol. In any case, I don't mind doing it. I work from home so I have some extra time when things get slow and I don't have a commute so that's always nice :D but if someone is super excited to handle it, that works for me too!

Reply #58
I put mine in. You may want to put in a totals row above the names so you get an automatic tally on both columns. If you don't know how to do so I can take care of it, I just didn't want to make a major edit without your approval.

• Talkyn
  • [*][*][*]
  • Enrolled
Reply #59
I took the liberty of tweaking the doc a bit.

Ok maybe I was just bored at work...
  • Last Edit: November 01, 2013, 09:44:46 PM by Talkyn

• Lyt Speed
  • [*][*][*]
  • Administrative
Reply #60
I've added mine to the google doc. Just my 2c, I really like the latin space bacon quote better than "How many can we make die" that just feels too long. Also the Star Citizen logo on one side and the Pitchfork logo on the other feels right.

However it ends up being designed I'll be getting one :)
html

• Jonais
  • [*][*][*]
  • Enrolled
Reply #61
I like the additions. I thought about adding a summation row but didn't think to add it above. I figured I'd keep it simple since it is just to gauge interest, but the changes are good!

Reply #62
Added formulas to calculate cost based on known information. The price for the paperweights will need to be updated when it's received and if we get more than 200 coins the formula will need to be expanded.

Reply #63
No bust of CR, please. I find hero worship to be disturbing.

A Kickstarter would be good, if we have someone who knows how to run one, and people trust enough with their money. With the Kickstarter different sizes of coins could be offered so people could chose what they wanted, as well as the displays.

I can poke concierge and see if they'd be okay with myself or someone doing this.

As for sending coins, with a minimum run of 100, plus shipping costs (going to be a fair chunk of the cost),

• Benjamin the Rogue
  • [*][*][*]
  • Staff
Reply #64

No bust of CR, please. I find hero worship to be disturbing.

I can poke concierge and see if they'd be okay with myself or someone doing this.

As for sending coins, with a minimum run of 100, plus shipping costs (going to be a fair chunk of the cost),

I'm not really in favor of CR being on the coin either. Ruined Armitage isn't such a bad idea, but it's a complicated image. I'm still for the original patch design, and the crest, personally.

Reply #65
Okay, I just finished getting a column for each individuals personal total into the copy of the doc I downloaded. Is it too early to integrate it into the online one? I know we still need more pricing info for it to be complete but it will update as the new information is added.

Link to modified document if you want to play around with it or add the formula to the main doc.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/sxm6u744scei2se/Pitchfork_Coins_Modified.xlsx

What the formula does.
If the row has nothing in either the coins or paperweights column return blank text.
If the row has nothing in the coins column and the cost per paperweight is $0.00 return blank text.
If the row has nothing in the coins column and the cost per paperweight is non-ero return number of paperweights time cost per paperweight plus extra donation.
If the row has nothing in the paperweights column return number of coins times current cost per coin plus extra donation.
If the row has entries in both columns return number of coins times current cost per coin plus number of paperweights time cost per paperweight plus extra donation.

I'm aware that there is an oversight in that a row with only an extra donation will return blank text, I figured the likelihood of that happening was low. If you want the formula in the doc and covering that eventuality I can work on it some more tomorrow.

Never mind, I thought of a really simple solution. The formula will now return the value of the extra donation if nothing else is present, and only return blank text when all three columns are blank.
  • Last Edit: November 02, 2013, 01:19:13 AM by Jaustin89

• Jonais
  • [*][*][*]
  • Enrolled
Reply #66
The current estimated cost per coin is a good addition, although I think adding calculations at this point is a little premature since the cost per coin is going to depend on the total order and cost is likely to change between now and when we finally place the order, but it sounds like you were a bit bored last night, lol.

Reply #67
I'd love to have one and I'd rather spend the money to make it good than cheap. (I have the metal brushed citizen card :-) )

Anyone know how durable these coins are?  If I carry it around will the paint chip off easily?  Just curious.

I'm also not a fan of the "How many can we make die"
Icarus_Above

• Talkyn
  • [*][*][*]
  • Enrolled
Reply #68
Jaustin89,  The calculated costs is a good addition, but it's a bit premature to get useful info out of IMO.

If you look at the google doc, I moved your costs section to a second sheet.  Keeping the front sheet clear of anything except the names & numbers will allow us to sort it alphabetically, thus keeping it looking clean. 

If you are comfortable with formulas that span more than one sheet go ahead and get it tallying things up.  If not, I'll spend some time on it when we get closer to having some real numbers on it.  With only 9 people on it thus far I don't think we are in a panic to do anything except keep collecting interested persons.

This is going to be a fun project! 

I was going to play (try) War Thunder tonight, but maybe I'll knock the rust off my GIMP and see if I can draft a coin submissions based on what we've all discussed here in the thread.

I'd love you to do a render of the chosen coin Jaustin89, that presentation of your coin is awesome.
***EDIT: Is that coin your design Jaustin89? Or is it Kartr-Kana's?
  • Last Edit: November 02, 2013, 11:31:05 AM by Talkyn

• Jonais
  • [*][*][*]
  • Enrolled
Reply #69
The pitchfork design I believe is salamander's. I'm not the biggest fan of How many can we make die either, but I prefer it to the latin that I don't even know the translation for :)

As far as the quality goes it's a pretty good quality coin and the embossed finish on it should keep it from chipping.

Keep in mind, however, that it's primarily a memento/display piece, so can't really guarantee that excessive roughness won't damage it.

Reply #70
Count me in
Pitchfork Belongs to all of us

• Benjamin the Rogue
  • [*][*][*]
  • Staff
Reply #71
I always have my Operation Enduring Freedom coin with me, but it's in a hard plastic coin case. After 4 years, it's got some wear on the parts that are touching the plastic, but it's hardly become an issue with the image.

I really like the 'How Many Can We Make Die" logo. But we can get some suggestions out there, and we'll get them put to a vote for the consensus.

There's always the "The Meek May Inherit the Earth/But The Rest Of Us Are Going To Orion" as an option. I like that one.

Reply #72
If I'd love you to do a render of the chosen coin Jaustin89, that presentation of your coin is awesome.
***EDIT: Is that coin your design Jaustin89? Or is it Kartr-Kana's?

Unless I missed the first iteration of it the design itself was from supremacy, I just traced the design in Inventor and extruded it to get the 3d model. And yes I plan on doing another render when we get the design absolutely final, probably not another 1080p one until we're pretty sure it wont change as that took around 10 hours to render but I may do lower res stuff so we can get a feel for what the coin will look like when it's made.

As for the doc, I've never done multi-sheet stuff before but I can play around with my copy and see if I can figure it out. If I can I'll move it over to the live doc, if not as you said it's a non-issue at this point.

• MattK101
  • [*][*][*]
  • Enrolled
Reply #73
Definitely interested in a coin or two, but I'm going to wait to commit until the design is finalized

• Talkyn
  • [*][*][*]
  • Enrolled
Reply #74

Count me in

Respectfully, No.

I'm not alone in trying to see to it you get the fancy paper-weight version, sir.