Skip to main content You are either not logged in or not registered with our community. Click here to register.

WikiFullscreen ChatVoice Chat (Discord)Org PageF.A.Q.

Topic: Operation Pitchfork Physical Edition Coins (Read 23901 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Operation Pitchfork Physical Edition Coins
Reply #25

I'd like to be able to send CR a coin in the display with the Pitch fork backstroy on it.

8)

http://www.coinsforanything.com/resources/1/paperweights.jpg

The middle one.

I think I like the Coinsforanything people. May chat them up.

Would be hilarious to do a Kickstarter for this.

• Lyt Speed
  • [*][*][*]
  • Administrative
Reply #26
Random thought:
If we do this add $1US to the price, all the extra money gets sent to RSI to go towards the game. After all we wouldn't be doing this without it.

Thoughts?
html

Reply #27
Sounds good to me.

Reply #28
I'm up for buying a coin.
Redback Company: First ones in, last ones out.

• Benjamin the Rogue
  • [*][*][*]
  • Staff
Reply #29

I'm all for pitching in, but I agree we should hold off on the minting until just before the Operation itself. I will likely also be picking them up for my fleet mates who are unable to contribute to the buy in.

A suggestion though, -if- we wind up with several divisions of flights (Front Line Fighters, R&R Carrier, Search and Rescue) would it be possible to generate coins or patches for those subdivisions?

That would be cool, but we might be getting in over our heads on that. It will be complicated, because there will be people performing multiple roles over the course of the operation. But some people may want to have the option to choose a coin with their preferred role on it.

We've got a year, so there's a chance something like that might evolve out of this.

Reply #30

I'd like to be able to send CR a coin in the display with the Pitch fork backstroy on it.

8)

The middle one.

Shank, you are the greetest.

i would also like to recomend that the back of the coin has a cheasy profile bust of Chris Roberts.

LOL. That would be hilarious.

I'm in. I'd suggest that we get some of the options as well, looking at the  pricing a 1.5" 2 sided satin gold coin with the epoxy coating would only cost $4.90 per coin and would look really nice.

As for the size I'd recommend sticking with the 1.5", it's a sizeable coin without being too big.

Comparison against a US quarter and a standard CD.

I dig the 1.5"

Redback Company: First ones in, last ones out.

Org Page: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/orgs/AUSREDBACK

Reply #31
I'm up for buying a coin to.  8)

• Shank
  • [*][*][*]
  • Enrolled
Reply #32

I think I like the Coinsforanything people. May chat them up.

Would be hilarious to do a Kickstarter for this.

A Kickstarter would be good, if we have someone who knows how to run one, and people trust enough with their money. With the Kickstarter different sizes of coins could be offered so people could chose what they wanted, as well as the displays.

Random thought:
If we do this add $1US to the price, all the extra money gets sent to RSI to go towards the game. After all we wouldn't be doing this without it.

Thoughts?

If we did something on Kickstarter to where any extra money, after manufacturing and shipping, was put toward SC packages and merchandise (all would be digital so no physical prizes, might cut down on legal issues since we have many different countries) to be randomly given out in a raffle to those who participated in the kickstarter. I think people would be more likely to put extra money into sending in for the game than just giving more to help the game, though I'm all for extra help to the game.
  • Last Edit: October 31, 2013, 11:21:36 PM by Shank

• Talkyn
  • [*][*][*]
  • Enrolled
Reply #33
I'm totally in on this.  For me, as long as its <$10 (shipping extra) it's totally fine.

I'd agree with others here that a 1.5" coin is probably spot on.  Keep the size reasonable and we can have it be decked out in multiple metals and colour and still be reasonably cheap.

8)

The middle one.

Absolutely YES! I'd love to be able to say I was a part of this on a personal level

If we run a Co-op for this (I'm sure a Kickstarter is just over-kill), we totally need to have just the coin(s) as well as a special CIG/CR gift fund.  That way people can grab a coin and toss a $ at CIG in whatever ammount they are comfortable with.  As long as someone integral to the community handles it, my money will be on the way.

• Shank
  • [*][*][*]
  • Enrolled
Reply #34
I could go for a cheesy profile bust of Chris Roberts, another possibility could be the OP crossed pitchforks symbol.

• Benjamin the Rogue
  • [*][*][*]
  • Staff
Reply #35
I like the OP crossed pitchforks logo on one side.

I feel like the side that says "How Many Can We Make Die?" is the front. Anyone else feeling that?

Reply #36
I had it designed as the back initially, but it does feel more like it belongs on the front. Perhaps I should switch "Operation Pitchfork" and "Vengeance Fleet" to make it the "official" front (design wise the name really should be on the front.)?

• Benjamin the Rogue
  • [*][*][*]
  • Staff
Reply #37

I had it designed as the back initially, but it does feel more like it belongs on the front. Perhaps I should switch "Operation Pitchfork" and "Vengeance Fleet" to make it the "official" front (design wise the name really should be on the front.)?

Heh, yeah, the name probably should be on the front. I'm going to ask sailor67 about getting his stamp of approval on the official seal of Pitchfork. I'm going to be going with the crossed steel pitchforks with the stars behind. If he does, I'm personally going to go for that being on one side of the coin. But that's just for right now. I'm pretty sure that with the number of creative people we have in here, we'll have some pretty awesome submissions.

You know, we're probably going to cause a lot of military spies to re-assigned in the world trying to figure out who is planning "Operation Pitchfork" when military coin manufactures start getting in thousands of orders at the same time.

• Talkyn
  • [*][*][*]
  • Enrolled
Reply #38
Has anyone tried to do the crossed pitchforks over or within the SC Logo?

Reply #39
you mean like this stuff http://operationpitchfork.com/forums/index.php?topic=21.0? Because unless I'm mistaken that's what's been under discussion as the obverse for the coin.

• Talkyn
  • [*][*][*]
  • Enrolled
Reply #40
The issue I see with using the OP logo exactly as-is is it's not round.

The circular shape of the SC logo lends itself very well to being on a coin.  The three stars and crossed forks stick out way to far IMHO.

My comment was quickly written, and might not have been clear enough.  I'm not artistic enough to simply create what I imagine, so I'll have to try and describe it.  Have a look at the SC logo:

Obviously we drop the huge text.  If someone shrinks the center star and lays the pitchforks over it, but within the laurel, I think we'd have a beautiful and distinct design that would carry over well to the coin medium.  We might be able to have a nice gold laurel, silver star and pewter pitchforks so each bit stands out.

While I do like your coin render, Jaustin89, I'd like the crossed forks, even modified, on the front.  It's plastered all over the place in people's signatures after all.

Would it be crazy to put the in-game year on the coin's tails-side?  I'm sure this will be an available figure.

I don't want to sound like I know what would look the best, I'm just trying to toss my $0.02 out there.

• Ratu
  • [*][*][*]
  • Enrolled
Reply #41
I like it Talkyn, can one of our more artsy people please mock up a concept of his suggestion?

• Benjamin the Rogue
  • [*][*][*]
  • Staff
Reply #42
I was talking about this:

It's got the same elements as the Star Citizen logo, but the three stars are a clear symbol of Orion's Belt, with the center star's importance being that of the Orion system itself. The Pitchforks are an obvious symbol. I think as it is right now, it's pretty perfect for our cause as the Operation Pitchfork Crest, and had actually sent off a message to sailor67 seeking his input on making it official.

I'm still waiting word, but I'm sure he'll have something to say.

• Benjamin the Rogue
  • [*][*][*]
  • Staff
Reply #43
Actually, for the coin, maybe we could get "sailor67" added between the heads of the pitchforks, resting on the circle.  And then get the in-game year on the bottom? Or vice versa? What do you guys think of that?

• Talkyn
  • [*][*][*]
  • Enrolled
Reply #44
It's glorious and epic Ben.  We also all know about it and agree it's already been accepted as the best symbol of the OP.

Do me a favour and draw a circle around it.  Now imagine the circle is less than 1.5" across since we need the fit text in the outer ring.

This was the sole motivation for my suggestions to alter it at all.  I never thought about the significance of the three stars before, but now I would agree they need to stay.

• John_Shepard
  • [*][*][*]
  • Enrolled
  • Devout Follower of Supreme Commander Sailor
Reply #45
I'm up to buying 1 of these however, like some have said before me....I'd like Operation Pitchfork of the front side and our official logo or a bust of chris roberts on the back.
I'm too busy with birthday party stuff and work atm to whip something up, and I appreciate all the work salamander, kartr_kana, and jaustin89 put into the coin..and I wouldn't want to step on their toes.

• Benjamin the Rogue
  • [*][*][*]
  • Staff
Reply #46
The problem is we'd have to drop the original design of the Pitchfork Operation logo on the coin to fit both the PF Crest and Chris Roberts onto the coin, and I really don't want to do that. We have the PF Crest, and then we have the Operation Logo, which is on the coin. If we want the bust of CR, which one are we going to replace? It might have to be the Crest, as Talkyn has said he doesn't think it will fit well onto a coin.

But I have to say from owning quite a few military coins that you can get some mighty fine detail done on them that is still visible on a 1.5" coin.

• Eleri
  • [*][*][*]
  • Enrolled
Reply #47

CURRENT COIN DESIGN:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Xuqm5cj_NI

I'm planning on getting one. It'll go good with the collection of military coins I already have.

If we're voting on design, I'd rather see this one on it than not, This looks like a good military medallion to me, even if we removed the colour and left it bare metal.

And I think the CR bust would be most appropriate on the other side, with the SC Laurel and star behind him (laurel only if the star wouldn't work)

Reply #48
I'm in for at least 2     8)

• Jonais
  • [*][*][*]
  • Enrolled
Reply #49
It sounds like we've got a large enough base of people interested to actually request a quote. I looked into it a little further and the initial die cast is an additional $200 (to make the cast) which on 100 coins adds $2 to the cost. Obviously the more we buy the less they cost. I love the idea of getting the paperweight for the staff.

For the front I think the consensus is Operation Pitchfork across the top and How many of them can we make die across the bottom.

For the reverse it sounds like we have a couple different opinions. Personally I prefer using the logo than a bust. Since we're waiting till we get closer to the actual date we could also consider putting the actual start date of the event since by then we'll know what that is.

As we get closer I'll start a google doc so that we can get a more accurate count.
Tumbleweeds. A Lone Wolves inspired org.
https://robertsspaceindustries.com/orgs/TUMBLWEEDS