Skip to main content You are either not logged in or not registered with our community. Click here to register.

WikiFullscreen ChatVoice Chat (Discord)Org PageF.A.Q.

Topic: Unnofficial Strategy (Read 3620 times) previous topic - next topic

• PvtHike
  • [*][*][*]
  • Enrolled
Unnofficial Strategy
Here's where we're discussing an overall strategy for Operation Pitchfork.  There's a lot to consider and even more that we don't know yet.  This post is an attempt to organize what we've come up with so far.

Discussions have been based off of this excellent map:

http://starcitizen.mojoworld.com/StarMap/

Proposed Plans:

From JackDaniels:  Multi-point assault starting with Virgil.  Moves on to Vendetta and Caliban.
                              http://operationpitchfork.com/forums/index.php?topic=65.msg188#msg188

From Ben the Rogue:  Begins with attacks on Vendetta and Virgil.  Hits Tiber from Vendetta, Virgil, and Garron.
                                   http://operationpitchfork.com/forums/index.php?topic=145.0

From sailor67:  Single point assault.  Starting location to be determined.
                         http://operationpitchfork.com/forums/index.php?topic=65.msg274#msg274

From Xeriar:  2 point assault.  One from Nul.  One TBD.
                     http://operationpitchfork.com/forums/index.php?topic=65.msg278#msg278

From WoD:  Single point attack starting with Caliban or Tiber and straight to Orion.
                    http://operationpitchfork.com/forums/index.php?topic=65.msg341#msg341

From PvtHike: Single and multi-point attacks presented.
                       http://operationpitchfork.com/forums/index.php?topic=65.msg551#msg551

Things to Consider:

Instancing: http://operationpitchfork.com/forums/index.php?topic=65.msg319#msg319

Coordination difficulties:  http://operationpitchfork.com/forums/index.php?topic=65.msg462#msg462
                                        http://operationpitchfork.com/forums/index.php?topic=65.msg482#msg482
  • Last Edit: October 28, 2013, 11:50:06 PM by PvtHike

Re: Re: Re: My proposed ideas... or at least a place to start talking...
Reply #1
I rather doubt securing Vendetta would be simpler. It's probably a larger front all by its lonesome.

Reply #2
Hi

I have my own ideas about this. Basically it should be driven by our numbers. As we sit now with ~1100 pilots we go from one location , where that should be, should based on our scouting reports in the beta. As we increase our numbers the number of jump off points increase. What the number is that will kick open a second/ third/ +N front, is open to discussion.

With all that said we are a consensus organization, so we need to discuss it and once a consensus is reached that is what we should do.

PvtHike, could you change the title of this thread to "Official Strategy Discussion" 

JD, PvtHik, because you  have very strong and opposite opinions ☺, could you both act as facilitators of the discussion, making sure everyone gets their say?

We are going to have guild/strike group leadership in here eventually who are going have their own ideas. So we want to have set the precedence of an open free discussion with facilitation to keep it on track and focused.

And yes I know it is a bit underhanded to ask you guys to facilitate other people's ideas given your strong opinions, but if you think about it, is a pretty good way to arrive at path forward that everyone can live with.   

I can only ask for your help and hope you both accept

Thank you

sailor

Pitchfork Belongs to all of us

• PvtHike
  • [*][*][*]
  • Enrolled
Reply #3
Will do, sailor.  No problems facilitating either.
  • Last Edit: October 19, 2013, 10:24:26 AM by PvtHike

Reply #4
thank you! I knew I could count on you  :)

Reply #5
I think no matter how many pilots we sign up, 2 staging areas and 2 assaults, and one of these needs to be Nul. Some people are not going to want to spend a lot of time in Garron or Vega, for various reasons. Likewise, Nul probably won't be all that friendly to UEE supporters.

At the same time, with presumably a hundred thousand to a half million Vanduul in a system, spreading out beyond what is necessary to accommodate political needs is probably unwise.

• bah
  • [*][*][*]
  • Enrolled
Reply #6
There's also instancing to consider, whose mechanics we'll only be able to fully grasp during beta.  On largely Vanduul occupied territory it will be somewhat troublesome to estimate their total numbers, unless scout ship's sensors pickup Vanduul ships that are not in their current instance.

After that a fleet movement decision should consider the instancing mechanics before starting: if instances are created in a way that preserve the faction ratio, in systems where we're outnumbered we might end up in several different instances and outnumbered in all of them.

Reply #7
I say we push straight for Orion through Caliban or Tiber. The fewer systems we have to fight through, the fewer ships we're likely to lose before we reach our main objective. If we divide our forces at all, it should be to send a diversionary attack with a relatively small portion of our fleet aimed at drawing Orion's defenders into whichever system we aren't making our main push through.

If by some wacky chance we actually manage to hang on to Orion for any length of time, then we work on establishing a safe corridor back into UEE territory.

• JackDaniels
  • [*][*][*]
  • Enrolled
  • Former - Shout Box Lurker & Forum - Admin
Reply #8

JD, PvtHik, because you  have very strong and opposite opinions ☺, could you both act as facilitators of the discussion, making sure everyone gets their say?

We are going to have guild/strike group leadership in here eventually who are going have their own ideas. So we want to have set the precedence of an open free discussion with facilitation to keep it on track and focused.

And yes I know it is a bit underhanded to ask you guys to facilitate other people's ideas given your strong opinions, but if you think about it, is a pretty good way to arrive at path forward that everyone can live with.   

I can only ask for your help and hope you both accept

Thank you

sailor

I know what your asking and I accept... granted I won't be able to give my 110% into this position...  But, I will do what I can.

After reading up on some of the details and additional postings from others I understand the spear head tactic to go straight for Orion and then fight our way back out... As for me I had my plan built on the idea of testing the water's and our ability to function between the systems, while at the same time securing a beach head for the systems we could work to control so others that join the cause later on will have some place to report in at. Diversion is good and I try and work my plans around Diversionary tactics into being more of a massive rush by force for a single system and keep pushing the troops to keep on moving just as fast as we assaulted.

I am still open to the idea's from others but, seeing as how we are able to flush out more of the info on the game we still have options that can help us be prepared long before Beta PU starts.

As for now we have searched through the CR interviews to find that Alpha PU is single-player only. My plan is to having each user trying and stock pile the weapon stores for their own PU to find storage area's and provide scouting reports before we hit beta.. I know each person's universe is going to be different but this will help get a general location and test ground for us to build the logistics to make this operation work effectively.

I plan for massive effectiveness while in the same attempt to test any features for the end game. Now then lets get to planning and lets get to making sure we have something other groups can help support.
2j0kx3s.png" width="490

• Benjamin the Rogue
  • [*][*][*]
  • Staff
Reply #9
I want to be the code namer! Pick me, pick me!

• Benjamin the Rogue
  • [*][*][*]
  • Staff
Reply #10
It's ok if you guys don't pick me. I'll be really sad, terribly sad, and my feelings may be hurt a little tiny bit, but it's ok.

I mean, I've got all these insane ideas written down for this. It'd be a shame if I couldn't spread my insanity a little bit.

• Benjamin the Rogue
  • [*][*][*]
  • Staff
Reply #11
I'm having so much fun writing up pointless strategic plans.

Reply #12

I want to be the code namer! Pick me, pick me!

LOL Ben you know how it works here,  pick a code name if it sticks... well your the code namer  :P

Reply #13

I know what your asking and I accept... granted I won't be able to give my 110% into this position...  But, I will do what I can.

After reading up on some of the details and additional postings from others I understand the spear head tactic to go straight for Orion and then fight our way back out... As for me I had my plan built on the idea of testing the water's and our ability to function between the systems, while at the same time securing a beach head for the systems we could work to control so others that join the cause later on will have some place to report in at. Diversion is good and I try and work my plans around Diversionary tactics into being more of a massive rush by force for a single system and keep pushing the troops to keep on moving just as fast as we assaulted.

I am still open to the idea's from others but, seeing as how we are able to flush out more of the info on the game we still have options that can help us be prepared long before Beta PU starts.

As for now we have searched through the CR interviews to find that Alpha PU is single-player only. My plan is to having each user trying and stock pile the weapon stores for their own PU to find storage area's and provide scouting reports before we hit beta.. I know each person's universe is going to be different but this will help get a general location and test ground for us to build the logistics to make this operation work effectively.

I plan for massive effectiveness while in the same attempt to test any features for the end game. Now then lets get to planning and lets get to making sure we have something other groups can help support.

Thanks JD I was hoping you would agree.  One point though from this week Wingman there was a question about keeping things from S42 over to the PU and basically the answer was no.  I am concerned that may also be the case for the S42 alpha, so we may not have an opportunity to stockpile :/ 

• PvtHike
  • [*][*][*]
  • Enrolled
Reply #14
That could make things a little more difficult.  Guess we should still have some time to pile stuff up depending on how long beta is.  Hopefully it'll be a couple of months at least.

• Benjamin the Rogue
  • [*][*][*]
  • Staff
Reply #15

LOL Ben you know how it works here,  pick a code name if it sticks... well your the code namer  :P

Haha, yeah, I know. I'm just exhibiting my minor insanity for planning stuff.

• ps1ho
  • [*][*][*]
  • Enrolled
Reply #16
When you reach a consensus be sure to make a general outline of the plan so we, the grunts, know what to do. :)

Oh, and were there any succesfull communication with the vanduul? As in can they understand humans? I'm wondering because this operation is quite public :D
  • Last Edit: October 20, 2013, 06:45:48 AM by ps1ho

Reply #17
Ok I suspect Vanduul will be massing in Virgil for a quick strike on Earth, only 2 jumps. We need to scout Virgil and decide whether to bring the battleground there or skirt around with the main force via Croshaw and nul. Personally I wouldn't want to split the main force. However whatever happens, I suspect there will me much lag and breaking of servers! :)

• Harker
  • [*][*][*]
  • Enrolled
Reply #18
It's nice to develop complicated and branching battle plans, but the vast majority of participants will be mindless drones that will jet towards the heart of Vanduul space and die in droves. Our plan needs to take this into account by holding them back until a critical mass of ships is achieved then herd them towards where they will have the maximum effect.

To do this there will need to be one initial staging point, one clear line of advance and one clear destination. Secondary targets in side systems and more complex objectives can be given to the small proportion of players who will actually fly in a co-ordinated manner.

To facilitate the public zerg, we will need players spread around the zerg who relay "public" objectives to all ships in their proximity. Someone will need to oversee their placement and distribution, as well as relay orders to them from our command coterie who will be liasing between the various organised squadrons and outfits.

• JackDaniels
  • [*][*][*]
  • Enrolled
Reply #19

Thanks JD I was hoping you would agree.  One point though from this week Wingman there was a question about keeping things from S42 over to the PU and basically the answer was no.  I am concerned that may also be the case for the S42 alpha, so we may not have an opportunity to stockpile :/

Then that means we should be able to ask them about Personal effects and items purchased during the campaign if those can be carried over into the PU...

Ok I suspect Vanduul will be massing in Virgil for a quick strike on Earth, only 2 jumps. We need to scout Virgil and decide whether to bring the battleground there or skirt around with the main force via Croshaw and nul. Personally I wouldn't want to split the main force. However whatever happens, I suspect there will me much lag and breaking of servers! :)

I know you was not present in the chat when we started talking about it. But, I made this note saying that we Secure Virgil we secure both a Defense point & staging point for all those that want stockpile at...

I am hoping we get a response from Wingman about being able to control systems of space and drive things from them...

It's nice to develop complicated and branching battle plans, but the vast majority of participants will be mindless drones that will jet towards the heart of Vanduul space and die in droves. Our plan needs to take this into account by holding them back until a critical mass of ships is achieved then herd them towards where they will have the maximum effect.

To do this there will need to be one initial staging point, one clear line of advance and one clear destination. Secondary targets in side systems and more complex objectives can be given to the small proportion of players who will actually fly in a co-ordinated manner.

To facilitate the public zerg, we will need players spread around the zerg who relay "public" objectives to all ships in their proximity. Someone will need to oversee their placement and distribution, as well as relay orders to them from our command coterie who will be liasing between the various organised squadrons and outfits.

This is a good point and I like that you brought it up. I have a feeling many people will just hit coordinates for Orion and let the auto-pilot do the rest. I am hoping that some of the first foot hold systems that we target that are secondary will help in facilitating for those individuals that just want to go out and assault with really no coordination.

Personally I am hoping we get more then 80% Coordinated battle groups but even if we don't we can still send out the key Systems we will need to secure before Orion.

As for every one else I know this will take plenty of time to get intel and we have to still wait on the design team to make this magic happen. BUT, as the key goes we still have a probe attempt some where in the plans to help us find out the fight options for this OP.

I am looking forward to being able to assign a salvage ship and a team of search and rescue for heavy combat rescue so we can get people back into the fight faster if we can. But, I am digressing a little out of the ways into finer details.

The main key is still going to remain on securing key sectors of the space with multiple fleets after the first unified push to secure Virgil. It will be a key point to get every one after securing Virgil to Kellog and Nul for the assaults into those other systems to test the response of the Vanduul clans but will still force them to pick systems to secure. I am planning to expect that those that jump in from SOL will head straight for the nearest Vanduul system and want to start taking pot shots so having Virgil will help facilitate for those individuals.

I will eventually try and flush out my strategies more once we find out if we can honestly hold a system as players. Because if we find that we have more on our plate to deal with in just securing Virgil we will still have a system to hold and secure for endless combat every one could enjoy till more info is provided from the development team. .
  • Last Edit: October 20, 2013, 12:18:05 PM by JackDaniels
2j0kx3s.png" width="490

Reply #20

I am hoping we get a response from Wingman about being able to control systems of space and drive things from them...

Once you post the question proper to the thread, we can get as many people to quote it as possible. "We. Want. An. Answer. And. It. Better. Not. Be. No."

Reply #21

When you reach a consensus be sure to make a general outline of the plan so we, the grunts, know what to do. :)

Oh, and were there any succesfull communication with the vanduul? As in can they understand humans? I'm wondering because this operation is quite public :D

On the first point:
Operation Pitchfork - Suggested SOP.
Rule 1 no mushroom management (i.e. Kept in the dark and feed excrement ) Everyone knows what we are doing and why

On the second point, CIG=Vanduul so to expect them not to know would seem umm imprudent  

• Benjamin the Rogue
  • [*][*][*]
  • Staff
Reply #22
We're going to need to spawn more Overlords.

Yeah, the most sensible strategy is most likely going to be the simplest, get them gathered in Null, and push straight for Orion, burning everything in our path until we liberate it. Then, if we still have enough surviving fanatical pitchforkers, we can go after which ever systems around us we wont until we're all dead or we've got enough bacon to last until the heat death of the universe.

• JackDaniels
  • [*][*][*]
  • Enrolled
Reply #23
nope no overloards needed just plenty of supplies for those poor colonists stranded in Orion...
2j0kx3s.png" width="490

• ssthehunter
  • [*][*][*]
  • Enrolled
Reply #24
I wonder if you can do insystem jumps with the jump drive....

• JackDaniels
  • [*][*][*]
  • Enrolled
Reply #25
that would be an interesting question to ask Wingman for the next episode...
2j0kx3s.png" width="490

• PvtHike
  • [*][*][*]
  • Enrolled
Reply #26

I wonder if you can do insystem jumps with the jump drive....

Worth asking, I wouldn't count on it given what we know about jump points though.

• Lyt Speed
  • [*][*][*]
  • Administrative
Reply #27

I say we push straight for Orion through Caliban or Tiber. The fewer systems we have to fight through, the fewer ships we're likely to lose before we reach our main objective. If we divide our forces at all, it should be to send a diversionary attack with a relatively small portion of our fleet aimed at drawing Orion's defenders into whichever system we aren't making our main push through.

If by some wacky chance we actually manage to hang on to Orion for any length of time, then we work on establishing a safe corridor back into UEE territory.

I like this, tight focus with clear objectives.
html

• PvtHike
  • [*][*][*]
  • Enrolled
Reply #28
Closing this thread.  Please create a new thread to add your thoughts.

• JackDaniels
  • [*][*][*]
  • Enrolled
Reply #29

Closing this thread.  Please create a new thread to add your thoughts.

Agreed for now because we just needed this thread for us to get started with this section of the forums.

If I get time tonight I will extract my plan from this thread and make it its own Thread.. You may want to do the same Hike if you want to throw in the format that I listed in the pinned thread... so we can drop this thread or keep it hidden with other singled out topics for next month when we review this forum.
2j0kx3s.png" width="490