Skip to main content You are either not logged in or not registered with our community. Click here to register.

WikiFullscreen ChatVoice Chat (Discord)Org PageF.A.Q.

Topic: Anyone got any maps of the Orion Sector or known SC space in general? (Read 3416 times) previous topic - next topic

Anyone got any maps of the Orion Sector or known SC space in general?
Title says it all. From what I've seen in the command room, OPPF has so far, gotten a good rough foundation for a plan of attack. However for those not quite familiar with the Universe (or for those who haven't yet memorized where each sector is), I feel for any war that it would be useful if we had any maps, strategic, standard or whatever. Would be nice to see exactly or more accurately, what path we're taking to Orion.

It would also benefit me and the gaming community I play with, many of whom are new to SC and would very much like join in and see exactly where we're going.

EDIT: If this isn't quite the right section, I do apologise.

Re: Anyone got any maps of the Orion Sector or known SC space in general?
Reply #1
Well derp :P. Didn't see the galactic map in the rough plans thread. Whoops.

• JackDaniels
  • [*][*][*]
  • Enrolled
  • Former - Shout Box Lurker & Forum - Admin
Reply #2

Well derp :P. Didn't see the galactic map in the rough plans thread. Whoops.

LOL no that is ok .. You just reminded me that I need to make sure we have a map to reference to for every one to see.

I will also post it here for in case some one else runs across this thread in a search.

http://starcitizen.mojoworld.com/StarMap/
2j0kx3s.png" width="490

• bah
  • [*][*][*]
  • Enrolled
Reply #3
There's also the one by Leeft/Shiari/Daughter of Sol (http://leeft.eu/starcitizen/). It's WebGL visualization is quite nice, although it lacks a lot of system data and the route creation capabilities are limited at best.

It's open source though (https://github.com/Leeft/Star-Citizen-WebGL-Map), and we can easily fork it to add the missing data and whatever custom displays we want (displaying proposed operation routes and the like). I had a run with its code a few weeks ago, although it lacks documentation it's not hard to understand. Not to mention we could always ask the author for help.

For reference, the original SC forum post: https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/54931/browser-based-3d-system-map-early-wip/p1

• Ratu
  • [*][*][*]
  • Enrolled
Reply #4
Nice bah, looks good. What language is it written in? Is it just WebGL or is there some other stuff in there too?

• bah
  • [*][*][*]
  • Enrolled
Reply #5
Javascript. It uses three.js for handling WebGL. The system data is in plain text JSON.

• JackDaniels
  • [*][*][*]
  • Enrolled
Reply #6
o yeah that s already above my head lol... but I do like the 3d map viewer option perhaps we could cross reference it with the Star Map already provided and ask the author's to help make a reference to the other map makers map for the info table... or we could compile all the system details our selves.... I just hope that we get the star map in Star citizen soon so we can see what planning's we can do with it...

As for mission data and scouting reports I see more promise from the 3d map viewer then the one we have already referenced right now.. cause then we could also have a view in system map to help show out sector's of space that we will need people to setup and where key locations have been found.
2j0kx3s.png" width="490

• bah
  • [*][*][*]
  • Enrolled
Reply #7
Both systems and map info are easy to input. The issue is the data, specially the system coordinates: I have absolutely no idea from where mojo is taking the information about system placement. The additional z coordinate of the system also can't be found on mojo's map.

The systems spatial coordinates are registered on the file map.js. The system information (resources, history, faction, crime status,...) are stored inside the systems.js file. Both of them are on the js/data/ folder.

Examples:
the Sol entry inside js/data/map.js (spatial coordinates)

Code: [Select]
"Sol": { "scale": 1, "coords": [ 0, 45, 0 ] },

The Nul system info on the js/data/systems.js general info)

Code: [Select]
 "Nul": {
      source: "https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/12804-Unlock-Nul-System",
      ownership: "None",
      planets: 5,
      planetary_rotation: [],
      "import": [],
      "export": [],
      crime_status: "Low",
      black_market: ["Slaves"],
      uue_strategic_value: "Grey",
      blob: [
         "Nul is a Classical Cepheid star, a yellow supergiant that pulsates (swelling 10-15% in size and luminosity) approximately every few months. Due to the variable nature of the star, attempts to terraform have not been successful, so the system was simply abandoned. To the public (and most law enforcement) there is nothing of interest in the system.  To a sliver of the criminal element, it's the site of a slave market, set up for randomly determined times and locations to keep it under the radar.",
         "This guide can not, in good conscious, advise pilots to engage in human trafficking. Even with a less human set of morals, it would be ill-advised: modern slavers are just as likely to take a hapless cargo pilot right alongside his victims. The only advice is: avoid at all costs.",
      ]
   }

The structure is always the same. I could easily make a pull request containing the additional system data (or a fork, if the original dev is no longer active), but like I said I have absolutely no idea from where folks are getting that data. The only data source I know is those System unlock pages and some Jump Point issues.

• JackDaniels
  • [*][*][*]
  • Enrolled
Reply #8
well Jump Point is one of them that and the Comm-links for a few other's but I want to say the Wikia is currently one of them for the key roles http://starcitizen.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Systems
2j0kx3s.png" width="490

• Ratu
  • [*][*][*]
  • Enrolled
Reply #9
Looks cool, I'll download it and see what I can do with it. I'm studying for exams though so don't hold your breath.

• bah
  • [*][*][*]
  • Enrolled
Reply #10

Looks cool, I'll download it and see what I can do with it.

Bear in mind some browsers (ie Chrome) security restrictions won't allow it to run from a local folder. You'll either have to change its settings, use a different browser (Firefox worked fine, last time I checked) or put it in a web server (Apache worked fine for me).

well Jump Point is one of them that and the Comm-links for a few other's but I want to say the Wikia is currently one of them for the key roles http://starcitizen.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Systems

Okay, I'll make a fork and add the know system data. Hopefully I'll finish it until next weekend. I'll make a pull request upstream and give Leet a notice. Hopefully she(?)'ll integrate it on the main branch and update the live preview.

It'd be nice if we could outline some desired features/user stories so some of us could start hacking around to implement it. I mean stuff like placing role defined markers on systems ("gathering point", "target system", "reinforcements needed") or some custom counters ("number of bacon carriers confirmed in the system", "estimated total enemy and friendly fleet sizes on the system") and so on.

• Harker
  • [*][*][*]
  • Enrolled
Reply #11
Interdasting. JSON is pretty easy to work with, and I can throw my expertise in for the software dev as well.

Depends on what we want to do with it, I guess. A realtime online collaborative map would be beyond my skillset (2D or 3D), but it would probably be pretty easy to hack up a thing that pulls data from a google spreadsheet which can be edited (to function as the "UI" lol).

A sort of virtual "operations table".
  • Last Edit: November 03, 2013, 10:54:00 AM by Harker

• Ratu
  • [*][*][*]
  • Enrolled
Reply #12
I've probably got some people who we could sweet talk into helping with the UI, 2D wouldn't be too hard, the issue would be getting a decent 3D map which can be moved around.

• bah
  • [*][*][*]
  • Enrolled
Reply #13
Already added all systems data available from system unlock comm links. Later I'll try to figure out a way to insert the galactic guide comm links data and see what I can get from the jump points and other star maps.
Note: not all systems whose info is in the commit are currently displayed on the map (they're lacking system  coordinates), I'll see what I can do about it later.

Links:
Fork: https://github.com/umbah/Star-Citizen-WebGL-Map
Pull Request (trying to merge upstream): https://github.com/Leeft/Star-Citizen-WebGL-Map/pull/1
Commit: https://github.com/umbah/Star-Citizen-WebGL-Map/commit/6412fd03aa516022ab682b1119d224a403abdf90

Should anyone find a mistake please do point it out.

• Harker
  • [*][*][*]
  • Enrolled
Reply #14
Looking good! I'll set aside a few hours at some point to dig around the todo list. Why not a planet view though? We'd need a map of individual systems so that we can core over potential strategic points as well as highlight points of interest.

(And then I realised it was in JS, my mortal enemy).
  • Last Edit: November 03, 2013, 08:35:18 PM by Harker

• JackDaniels
  • [*][*][*]
  • Enrolled
Reply #15
before I forget this was hosted by CIG a while back as a demo of how the game's Galaxy map will work out .....

http://youtu.be/9cLeXj4p03k
2j0kx3s.png" width="490

Reply #16
Ratu, there's always VRML, but that's a pretty old platform.

• Ratu
  • [*][*][*]
  • Enrolled
Reply #17
Never tried it, could probably learn it if I had to though. I was planning on learning OpenGL this summer so I could do things like this.

• bah
  • [*][*][*]
  • Enrolled
Reply #18

before I forget this was hosted by CIG a while back as a demo of how the game's Galaxy map will work out .....

That's the one Leet/Shiari used as inspiration when doing her StarMap. By the way, it seems LeetShair's and Zuur's (the one I kept calling mojo) maps will be merged. Whatever comes out of that will probably remain the most advanced star map of SC for a while.

She told me to wait a bit for the next version before start implementing new stuff. Once it's out there I'll start working on:

• Tracking and displaying Points of interests (she was already planning that, I'l see what I can do to help). This feature will be merged upstream

• Custom Points of interest for Operation Pitchfork with additional data and custom display (so far, I'm thinking rally points and last known Vanduul carrier location). This most likely won't make it upstream, unless Leet/Shiari deem it useful. I'll outline the planned custom markers data when I start working on it. Would love some feedback.

• Tracing and tagging multiple jump routes. This could probably be merged upstream

PS: The pull request was accepted upstream, although the live preview hasn't been updated yet.

Why not a planet view though? We'd need a map of individual systems so that we can core over potential strategic points as well as highlight points of interest.

I've already thought about that, but there are some caveats:

• There are no geometric constraints like the jump points, hence every routing calculation is a 3d shortest path problem (or any other preferred way of path finding).

• Tagging points of interests (besides planets and other stationary entities) would be futile most times, since even carriers can have non negligible movement inside a single system in a short amount of time

On the bright side, displaying the planets on their respective (fixed) positions would be relatively easy. It might be worthy investigating as a separate module which can be later integrated into the Star Map (possibly upstream).

(And then I realised it was in JS, my mortal enemy).

I can relate to that. Nowadays it seems like you just can't have nice things without it (d3.js, three.js, to name a few).

• Harker
  • [*][*][*]
  • Enrolled
Reply #19
By the way, it seems LeetShair's and Zuur's (the one I kept calling mojo) maps will be merged. Whatever comes out of that will probably remain the most advanced star map of SC for a while.

I hope those guys know what they're doing, you really can't bash two separate codebases together and expect them to work. At the very least they'll need to make the 2D map as default and the GL init only happen when viewers try to access the 3D map. There'll also need to be really robust error handling.

• bah
  • [*][*][*]
  • Enrolled
Reply #20

I hope those guys know what they're doing, you really can't bash two separate codebases together and expect them to work. At the very least they'll need to make the 2D map as default and the GL init only happen when viewers try to access the 3D map. There'll also need to be really robust error handling.

I don't believe that's their intention: they seem to be aiming at having different Views (Zuur's 2D map and Leeft's 3D map) for the same underlying data. The merging would be standardizing data structure and formats. Quoting Leeft from the RSI site forums:
I've worked with Zuur to get much of his data, and been working on a database website as a separate project (no current plans to open source that other project, it's also much more difficult to set up) for editing the data. A newer version of my map will then be able to use that for fresh data and some level of interactive editing back in to the database. There's more (perhaps much more) work to do before I'm ready to publish the updates to the map and my website though. But they'll come :)

Hence, they'll share the database, which, if done properly, could also be used by other maps.

• Harker
  • [*][*][*]
  • Enrolled
Reply #21
Ahh, that's much more sensible. Should be almost trivial too, just write a batch script to parse over one set of data and output it in the same format as the other.