Skip to main content You are either not logged in or not registered with our community. Click here to register.

WikiFullscreen ChatVoice Chat (Discord)Org PageF.A.Q.

Topic: Communication hubs (Read 1493 times) previous topic - next topic

• Fluffypinkbunny
  • [*][*][*]
  • Enrolled
Communication hubs
I don't know if there is a better thread to discuss this in, but I have often seen large operations fail due to poor communication, Who is in charge of communication, and what system are they planning on using? (mumble, ts3, vent god i hope not vent) My preference would be ts3, because I know how to create channels, set up whispers, and invite people into different channels, and have different channels have different levels of protection, I just don't have a large enough server to support operation pitchfork sized events. My thoughts would be we need a central command channel that "hub" sits in, anybody at any time can drop into the central command and make a request to talk, once hub sees the request they receive the request, and forward it on to where it needs to go.

I would expect each org to have their own communications, but with major players being in the "op pitchfork" communication so that hub can contact the, combat / scout / supply / SaR / inner security force / marines / what not and each org would have a representative in what ever capacity they are giving to the operation in there.

Flow would be this, command gives an order say scouts, check sector X. Hub makes sure command is forwarded to the scout orgs that are closest to X, and then relay's information while command is asking for combat units to head towards y, or to react to something else, there can be 2 ore 3 hub operators who all talk to eachother, or at least hear eachother talking to the other units, so their communications don't cross / conflict.

basically each hub, would need two presences in what ever form of communication one for hearing, and one for speaking, (this means either two clients, or two computers) I would suggest two screens if they are trying to hub on one computer. I would love to help plan hub like communications, (I can set up 4 possibly 5 computers just for voice coms, (1 I would play on) to monitor and help with such a thing, again, I just don't have access to the size of ts server we would need.

• ~L~
  • [*][*][*]
  • Staff
  • Research and Development
Re: Communication hubs
Reply #1
I gave it a lot of thought myself and had a similar idea I planned on using within my own clan. It does seem like itd be the most effective communications method especially for something so large scale. Even with the operation set up to have orgs run and coordinate things based on their own initiative some form of central communications will make it easier for them, should they choose to use the central comms.

• mediaflare
  • [*][*][*]
  • Administrative
  • Skyhound United - Leader
Reply #2
The majority of the OPPF staff and major org leaders will also be utilizing the RaidCall channel we set up too. Then we can disseminate information down the channels.

If we're talking military-level communication, then in ascending order: team/squad channel, then the squadron leaders and division leader on one channel. Then there's separate channels for logistics, rescue, and support. Above all this would be command chat, being org leaders

As most people will be using their own chat programs, the most we can try to do is to get the team leaders to join the RaidCall channel do we can at least coordinate major strikes

• zimmah
  • [*][*][*]
  • Enrolled
Reply #3
We could also use https://discordapp.com/

it's like a browser based teamspeak, you can choose to use it in-browser or download the desktop app. I beleive they also have mobile versions.

It's also free to create a server there. I haven't tried how many people can join a server on that though, so it may be a problem having a lot of people on there.

Reply #4
This does make me bring up another question, when we are doing to first stages of the Op do we want to send out raiding parties to disable or destroy Vanduul com ships also? If we can blind them in 6-12 systems by taking out all their com vessels they won't know where the main body attack is coming from, but more so prevent the primary targets for calling for support as well.

• Jack Knife
  • [*][*][*]
  • Enrolled
  • Merchant of Menace
Reply #5
There will be probing raids while we hoard supplies prior to the invasion to test Vanduul response time and try to turn it to our advantage noting the estimated time,size of reinforcing fleet,types of ships in the fleets and then look at the map and calculate the possible number of total reinforcements to a system based on these figures and possible cause decoys to bait Vanduul fleets away from the main invasion point(s).

As for comm ships based on the fact that most of the ships will be a swarm coordinated by the core of OPPF they will likely be targets for the swarm by commanders or specialized E-Warfare units.

• mediaflare
  • [*][*][*]
  • Administrative
  • Skyhound United - Leader
Reply #6
Heads up, we do have a RaidCall channel for the opp that we're probably going to be utilizing.

Also, feel free to pitch your ideas for communication with us in the SWACS section, we'd enjoy the extra input :P

• Mephistopheles
  • [*][*][*]
  • Enrolled
  • Mephistopheles
Reply #7
My guild uses TS as main comms system and is thinkong about having as a backup discordapp. We like it as we use it in a private server were we can handle all permissions, groups, just as @Fluffypinkbunny mentioned, whyspers, a secure comms system between wing and the main battlegroup and leadership.

We are also using Telegram as a system for notifications for all members, the new "channel" system allows to have even thousands of people for early warning system or important notices.

• Fluffypinkbunny
  • [*][*][*]
  • Enrolled
Reply #8
I like the way discord can be brought up on various browsers, it makes it easier to jump in and out, no download.