Skip to main content You are either not logged in or not registered with our community. Click here to register.

WikiFullscreen ChatVoice Chat (Discord)Org PageF.A.Q.

Topic: AWACS and C&C: Pilots and Crew Briefings (Read 4472 times) previous topic - next topic

• mediaflare
  • [*][*][*]
  • Administrative
  • Skyhound United - Leader
Re: AWACS and C&C: Pilots and Crew Briefings
Reply #25
Well if we use it as the C&C, I'll be there, with two Cutlass mounted ready to defend. There would be fueling and repair ships there as well, and it would be on the other end of a jump, so no Vanduul threat. Trident will still be a problem, but there'll be plenty of defense set with the ships there, as well as npc security.

No matter what, that that will be there. So long as C&C is limited to trusted members, we can control it a bit. But just like in real life, that threat will always persist unfortunately

• Jack Knife
  • [*][*][*]
  • Enrolled
  • Merchant of Menace
Reply #26
If it's in Vega like I am proposing then it's UEE space and only Tridents would be threats until CIG makes a game event type move which is unlikely to happen until far after release. Additionally there should be a logistical fleet  constantly traveling or standing by around the FOB and I believe it is safe to assume that the FOB can have external and internal defenses.

Edit: Flare beat me to the counter point.

• mediaflare
  • [*][*][*]
  • Administrative
Reply #27
Hehe, I get inspired talking military, so I try to post fast :P

When we set the FOB up, we'll need volunteers to be guards, preferably rotating them out, so everyone gets a chance on the front.

But then yeah, logistics, SWACS, C&C, Rescue/Recovery can all consolidate in the same area. This will attract trident attention, but it'll be a powerful position with all those ships, so they can defend themselves very well.

• ~L~
  • [*][*][*]
  • Staff
  • Research and Development
Reply #28
Keep in mind too, according to current plans we are looking at hitting Orion from two systems, not just one. So we can't expect all commanders to be on board just the one ship. My concern on this stems from one of those systems being lawless space, controlled by syndicates. Trident aside there may be other unexpected attacks of opportunity from unassociated randoms with strong feelings against OPPF. The C&C, especially if doubled as a hospital ship makes a perfect target. Trusted command staff is the least of our worries in something like that, it is the rotating security that provides the greatest margin of compromising it. A ship that is actually able to defend itself would be better suited to C&C. This way, if by some very slim chance something does occur, we will still take a hard loss but it won't necessarily cripple us. That also goes for if CIG decides to have the Vanduul do a counter attack, even if it is with a small strike force they try to sneak through.

And don't mind me too much, I am just providing arguments to help think through the possible weaknesses and have us put down in writing the best ways to counter them. I am always trying to look at things from every angle, however unlikely.

• Jack Knife
  • [*][*][*]
  • Enrolled
  • Merchant of Menace
Reply #29
None of the maps are official yet remember. It's also likely by the end of Beta that C&C ships could commonly be Idrises since after several months of gameplay it is safe to assume you can afford a Frigate or similar.

A Vanduul counter attack into our FOB would be unlikely since it would be an unknown(Dick move if CIG cheats it.) location a system away from our invasion forces and on top of that if we choose a UEE controlled space the Navy and Advocacy will assist in the defense.

There is also the probability that Trident is far smaller and weaker than we are estimating. It is still good to have contingency plans though. Their biggest mistake was to announce their existence.

• ~L~
  • [*][*][*]
  • Staff
Reply #30
Alright let me clarify a little here, Trident is dead. The only thing that remains of their forces are some scattered and likely very unorganized remnants from what I could find. That doesn't mean though a small group can't sneak past or into a rotational guard. And there are some of those Trident left who joined just to cause trouble and try to mess with the OP and will likely try to go through with it for the "fun" of it.

IF we used an Endeavor as both a forward hospital and C&C, it would be the perfect target. Taking out the forward hospital and the C&C crew at the same time would hurt us bad. And it wouldn't be difficult to do either. Between rotational guard, crew transfer and the constant in and out of wounded. So my point was, having said hospital ship at our FOB is a good idea but doubling it as the C&C is not.

As for choosing UEE space and the Navy and Advocacy assisting. That is a heavy assumption which we should not count on. The original plan anyways was to strike from two systems, one of them Nul into Caliban and the other I can't recall but leads into Tiber. We then go from these into Orion, if I remember the map correctly. However, as you said, the maps are not set and more is likely to change before then; but at least it is a plan we can simply adjust to fit our needs when the time comes.

• mediaflare
  • [*][*][*]
  • Administrative
Reply #31
I haven't really heard ANY actual trident activity in a while. I've been mainly using trident as "random asshole/suicide bomber" mainly lol

It was an idea. Most of my experience with this stuff comes from ground combat, so in that universe, usually C&C isn't a fortress, merely the things AROUND it.

It would be smarter to separate them if there's fear of threat by enemies/a need for better basing. I just didn't want to sacrifice a second ship, let alone something that'd do more justice on the front. Was trying to consolidate/save ship.

Also, keep in mind that there should(concept still, so subject to change) be two landing pads, which at least for me will have my Cutlass red and blue mounted on them, which will be a starting point for defense.

If we do end up attacking on two fronts, we can(and should) place a FOB on each front with their own command center for each front.

TECHNICALLY, since we're talking space, the most tactically sound FOB would consist of a Flotilla. Each commander flying their own ship and crew, communicating through RaidCall or something. That would provide a defensive position without asking for volunteers, plus then I can still fly my Endeavor :P

Then, paired up with SWACS, Rescue, and logistics, the flotilla would be well set up. The only downside would be the amount of ships held back from the front. Then again, since it's each commander's personal ship, guess it wouldn't be up there anyways, unless you're loaning it to a friend lol

• ~L~
  • [*][*][*]
  • Staff
Reply #32
The flotilla is indeed the most tactically sound idea to prevent any crippling loss in one strike. It is likely what we will end up going with but we will see later on.

• Jack Knife
  • [*][*][*]
  • Enrolled
  • Merchant of Menace
Reply #33
I actually thought a flotilla was what we were going with anyway considering the large number of specialized non-combat roles and marines who are not intended to be flying in combat that the FOB(s) were going to be an actual constructed base(Confirmed possible btw.) to rally around before moving to the jump points for the invasion and hoard supplies which we will need a ridiculously high amount  of since the operation will be taking several days and even more more supplies if we are going with a 2 front war.

Additionally a flotilla is necessary imo,because when it was confirmed instancing went by a "box" or "Russian Nesting Doll" system of a giant ship counting as 1 box inside the system making carriers or pseudo-carriers essential for strategic combat instead of a swarm of small ships that would be divided in instances since they all count as 1 box themselves,while inside a carrier they would not.

• ~L~
  • [*][*][*]
  • Staff
Reply #34
We should also keep in mind that the current command structure is an FFA design, playing with the idea of a branch with more organized structure. As it is right now the OP is set up where a small "command" group will help coordinate by posting information and attempting to provide accurate communications, but leaving it up to whomever is around to decide if they want to act on that info or jump on a target or not. Basically each org is still set to run themselves but with the option to directly coordinate with other groups through systems we will have set up for them if they so choose. However, there is no actual command structure for OPPF.
  • Last Edit: September 20, 2015, 02:42:07 PM by ~L~

• Jack Knife
  • [*][*][*]
  • Enrolled
  • Merchant of Menace
Reply #35
I see the OPPF Structure ending up a mix of Navy and militia.(I was gonna say privateers,but it's technically incorrect.) The OPPF Navy will be all the people who want everything all nice,tidy and organized and the militia will be literally everyone who is in for the free for all(aka the swarm.) taking the most basic orders from the OPPF Navy command structure.

• mediaflare
  • [*][*][*]
  • Administrative
Reply #36
A large portion of the opp will be throwing a bunch of ships at the enemy, so the militia will be fine in it's own for the most part. The C&C will help coordinate between the groups to help ensure they keep pushing forward and receive the help they need. They will also, as L pointed out, help post mission information, give objectives to steer the battle etc.

But yeah, if we get orgs to offer(I'm sure a lot will be down), they can join up for more coordinated efforts while other orgs and lone wolves provide the power on the main assault

• mediaflare
  • [*][*][*]
  • Administrative
Reply #37
This was moved here from another section for ease. Bumping so you know it's still here :P

• r_cubed
  • [*][*][*]
  • Enrolled
Reply #38
Seems like this thread kinda wandered off to the side, so I'll put my FOB comments else where...

but I'm interested in AWACS /C&C discussion.

I'm a fan of an abundance of Awac capable ships in all aspects the fleet to help C&C protect/guide the zerg.  after all, nothing says we've got a bad day like Vanduul on your rear as the combat ships blindly rush forward