Skip to main content You are either not logged in or not registered with our community. Click here to register.

WikiFullscreen ChatVoice Chat (Discord)Org PageF.A.Q.

Topic: AWACS and C&C: Pilots and Crew Briefings (Read 5149 times) previous topic - next topic

• Benjamin the Rogue
  • [*][*][*]
  • Staff
AWACS and C&C: Pilots and Crew Briefings
If you are planning on crewing or piloting a sensor orientated ship, or a C&C vessel, please report here for orientation and briefing. We're going to try to organize our eyes, ears, and mouths for the strike, and make sure every task force has at least one such vessel within radio range and in the instances.

Since the Teamspeak and Mumble sides of our communication are critical and related, I'd like to link this forum here to ensure we can get some cross-communication going for laying the groundwork for a system.

http://operationpitchfork.com/forums/index.php?topic=103.0

• Benjamin the Rogue
  • [*][*][*]
  • Staff
Re: AWACS and C&C: Pilots and Crew Briefings
Reply #1
I've got a Super Hornet that I may be swapping the gun turret out with a sensor suite, depending on who I can get to backseat the thing. I'm talking to members of my guild to see if enough of us will be running in this OP to get the leaders to sign on official support. If they do, I'll likely be flying sensor support for their instance. If not, I'm up for looking for other groups to freelance for.

• JackDaniels
  • [*][*][*]
  • Enrolled
  • Former - Shout Box Lurker & Forum - Admin
Reply #2
More then likely I will be doing some of the same in the field of C&C when the time comes I am still trying to get my wing together to see who will be ready for practice runs next year...

I will be making use of my SWAC capabilities when I can but I plan to be in many different points of this operation. I am not planning to keep myself pinned down to just one job but I plan to keep things going for communications or intel when I can.
2j0kx3s.png" width="490

• JayHawk
  • [*][*][*]
  • Enrolled
Reply #3
I'm able to do the above job, I have had nearly 2 years experience field commanding on World of Tanks in clan wars which is incredibly high stress work. It requires the ability to organise 14 other people, each having their specific roles and being able to change tactics on the fly to adjust to the enemy's moves.

I have all 3 variants of the hornet along with the Aurora LN, Retaliator and Freelancer.

While many instances will be occupied by guilds, I'm happy to volunteer myself for a command role leading people who are not in a guild that wish to be in a group instance.

As I said in the TS and Mumble thread, my TS server is currently set to 32 slots but can be up'd to 500 if needed (we've had 350 on it and it remained stable). If people want to use it regularly at this moment in time I can setup new channels and hand admin out to those who want it. Just shoot me a PM if any of you guys are interested. We can discuss tactics on there a little more in depth.

• Andy_H
  • [*][*][*]
  • Enrolled
  • NMC Ambassasdor.
Reply #4
Am going to outfit Super Hornet for the work. Let me know what you need.

• JackDaniels
  • [*][*][*]
  • Enrolled
  • Former - Shout Box Lurker & Forum - Admin
Reply #5

I'm able to do the above job, I have had nearly 2 years experience field commanding on World of Tanks in clan wars which is incredibly high stress work. It requires the ability to organise 14 other people, each having their specific roles and being able to change tactics on the fly to adjust to the enemy's moves.

I have all 3 variants of the hornet along with the Aurora LN, Retaliator and Freelancer.

While many instances will be occupied by guilds, I'm happy to volunteer myself for a command role leading people who are not in a guild that wish to be in a group instance.

As I said in the TS and Mumble thread, my TS server is currently set to 32 slots but can be up'd to 500 if needed (we've had 350 on it and it remained stable). If people want to use it regularly at this moment in time I can setup new channels and hand admin out to those who want it. Just shoot me a PM if any of you guys are interested. We can discuss tactics on there a little more in depth.

C&C can still be a decent Coordinator roll for later on but still kinda early. I do have a feeling I will be possibly helping shuttle supplies back and forth for a long while once the PU goes live... don't know how much combat I will actually log.

If I can get in on some of the Recon I will try to but, the best combat roll I have ever found was delivery, people, ships, orders, supplies, or Bombs...
2j0kx3s.png" width="490

• Benjamin the Rogue
  • [*][*][*]
  • Staff
Reply #6
I feel like as we start to get ore variant releases for the other ships, we're going to start to see a couple more ships focused on SWAC and C&C. It'll be nice to see new options become available to us as time goes on, and how they'll fit in with everything.

It's even better that Pitchfork was MVP, it gives me hope we might be able to influence some of the design decisions they make to support large-scale operations like this.

• Harker
  • [*][*][*]
  • Enrolled
Reply #7
Remember that SWAC != C&C, although for smaller ship groupings it's not a bad idea to combine them.

I would suggest that recon ships be outfitted for a combination of SWACs and speed, and have them constantly run around + behind + ahead of the main body of the forces.

Personally, I've commanded player raids in WoW with up to 60-80 players and even larger combats in Planetside 2. With the sheer number of participants in this, player commanders really need to have been in command of large-scale combats like that to have an understanding of what it's like to lead large numbers of players. Speaking from experience, if the grunts are reasonably willing to follow orders then everything depends on either your squad leaders being effective at managing their squad, or the overall leader being ridiculously good at giving orders.

Having co-operative grunts won't really be relevant to Pitchfork though, as with well over a thousand participants (probably breaking two or three thousand) this will be a zerg. Player commanders will not have any meaningful control, all we can do is influence and herd that zerg.
  • Last Edit: October 25, 2013, 09:23:01 PM by Harker

• JayHawk
  • [*][*][*]
  • Enrolled
Reply #8
More speculation. I think you really need to hold your horses before you make claims that we have no clue about.

• Harker
  • [*][*][*]
  • Enrolled
Reply #9
It's not too early for theoretical discussions about command. Nice as it may be to imagine ourselves being the next Ender Wiggins or Thrawn, I really don't think it's feasible.

• JayHawk
  • [*][*][*]
  • Enrolled
Reply #10

It's not too early for theoretical discussions about command.

You just started talking about commanding from an SWACS or Ghost but we don't even know the ingame differences... It's just pointless.

All you are doing is speculating and assuming. You are stating opinions that are no better than making things up.
  • Last Edit: October 25, 2013, 09:49:40 PM by JayHawk

• Harker
  • [*][*][*]
  • Enrolled
Reply #11
SWAC, recon and C&C refer to different ship roles; I didn't refer to the Ghost, or using any exact ship for those roles in particular.

There may be a degree of speculation in what I say, but I'm also speaking from experience. However different SC may be from other games, players will act and react relatively similarly across them all.

If Pitchfork is going to have any measure of co-ordination or goals, we'll need to work together to prepare an effective plan for command.
  • Last Edit: October 25, 2013, 09:59:35 PM by Harker

Reply #12
I'm going to be able to provide a variety of ships depending on what is needed towards the end of the beta time frame.  I've got a F7C-R and a Gladiator that could both be run in this mode as SWACS.  Or I'll be running combat support or scouting or bombing.  Guess it depends on what I'm, as a lone wolf, able to get for support in RIO/Crew.

• Benjamin the Rogue
  • [*][*][*]
  • Staff
Reply #13
Fellow citizens, this thread doesn't need a resolution today. This is simply a meeting ground for pilots interested in these tasks to come together when new information pertaining to their fields of interest come about. It'll be a more happening place once that starts going on. Until then, consider this to be a foundation for future conversations.

Reply #14
I am very excited to see what the AR Cockpit on my Sentinel can do in a CnC role and whether it is a ship more suited for CnC, Recon, SWAC, or Ewar support on an attack wing.  As a huge fan of strategy games and a self-styled armchair general I'd love to fill a CnC role but as ever my skills and assets are at OPPF's disposal.

• Jack Knife
  • [*][*][*]
  • Enrolled
  • Merchant of Menace
Reply #15
C&C seems a bit unfair to be rolled  into SWACS here I think. Wouldn't each division have it's own commanders and command in their personal or borrowed C&C ship for their division? It's also unfair to the current and potential commanders in the future unless their role is actually to command SWACS units.

• mediaflare
  • [*][*][*]
  • Administrative
  • Skyhound United - Leader
Reply #16

C&C seems a bit unfair to be rolled  into SWACS here I think. Wouldn't each division have it's own commanders and command in their personal or borrowed C&C ship for their division? It's also unfair to the current and potential commanders in the future unless their role is actually to command SWACS units.

well I wouldn't call it unfair, but yeah, there should be a separation between "radar/communications" and the Command sector.

At some point when the forum get's reshuffled a bit, i'd like to see a separate "command" thread that we can invite OPPF Staff, Org liasons, and other essential staff.  There wouldn't be a need for a command PATCH, as a lot of command staff will come from multiple areas(Staff from Marines, Logistics, SWACS, Fighter/Bomber, etc), but maybe a small badge, or a color shift in the original OPPF patch.

anyways, we're still SUPER early, so all of this will alter over time. I don't mind C&C conversation happening here for now, as we don't have too much to talk about as it is lol

• mediaflare
  • [*][*][*]
  • Administrative
Reply #17
Otherwise I have no problem loaning my Endeavour to the C&C crew in order to operate as a hub location for medical/rescue operations

• ~L~
  • [*][*][*]
  • Staff
  • Research and Development
Reply #18
I feel even if we have separate commanders for SWACS and C&C they should still operate in the same line together. Maybe having the head of SWACS as more of a sub-commander able to make decisions on the fly but still directly coordinating with a superior commander in C&C.

Having too many individual commanders doing their own thing will cause more of a mess than anything with the size of this op. Last thing we need is for everyone to start getting confused from mixed information and mixed orders, especially those who are operating in multiple divisions.

Not saying that anyone is wrong here, just my half a cents worth on it.

• mediaflare
  • [*][*][*]
  • Administrative
Reply #19
Oh no, I'm not saying we need more commanders or anything.

C&C would consist of the people leading each group, fighters, marines, radar. They'd coordinate in the same channel to streamline things. I'm just saying that in a normal structure, c&c is it's own section, radar would be it's own because it's two different fields.

But no, we don't need more threads right now, there's only life 3 posts in each thread as it is lol.

• Jack Knife
  • [*][*][*]
  • Enrolled
  • Merchant of Menace
Reply #20
A unified command system with all the commanders coordinating like Flare implies is where I saw this going and I support it.

• mediaflare
  • [*][*][*]
  • Administrative
Reply #21

A unified command system with all the commanders coordinating like Flare implies is where I saw this going and I support it.

Well, I mean that is what C&C is. You'd have the ranking officer of each major division in a room with radio guys and that one dude who I don't know what his actual job is, but he's always playing on his DS lol

But I digress. We're not really contributing to this thread anymore, so getting back on track:

Do we have plans on setting up a FOB once the op starts? I'd recovered some sort of rear guard, just in case we have trident issues.

Yes, rear guard is boring, but it's better than losing all the radar, comms, and leaders in one sweep

• Jack Knife
  • [*][*][*]
  • Enrolled
  • Merchant of Menace
Reply #22
Agreed. It's also confirmed that bases can be built.(Presumably very difficult to prevent mini-base spam.) Previously it was only thought you could control default established locations only.

Therefore as I stated in another thread that I believe we should set up an FOB in the Vega asteroid belt. It's listed as being mined by the UEE Navy yet a good starting point for low level miners. This leads me to believe it is a relatively defended,but navigable location with natural(Asteroids) and artifical(Space Mines) defenses that is on the Vanduul border a few jumps from Tiber and Orion. Additionally any Tridents trying to cause trouble would not be able to make a quick escape without crashing or exploding.

• mediaflare
  • [*][*][*]
  • Administrative
Reply #23
That would be good. That would save a lot of problems in terms of firing, resupply, and spawns. Stick my Endeavor at the FOB, and you don't have to go all the way back to an npc hospital!

• ~L~
  • [*][*][*]
  • Staff
  • Research and Development
Reply #24
Having that Endeavor at the FOB would be a great boon to our forces but might also be a huge target for Vanduul and Trident type threats alike. Having to defend a medical station on the front on top of everything else could be a problem with our numbers. Unless we can equip it with some light defense to at least help itself while operating on the front.