Skip to main content You are either not logged in or not registered with our community. Click here to register.

WikiFullscreen ChatVoice Chat (Discord)Org PageF.A.Q.

Topic: Benjamin the Rogue's Proposal (Read 1794 times) previous topic - next topic

• Benjamin the Rogue
  • [*][*][*]
  • Staff
Benjamin the Rogue's Proposal
As a rogue, I felt it was my profession duty to help hash out the best way to back stab some Vanduul space bastards. After doing some research, here is my current primary strategic assessment of a possible incursion into Vanduul territory. STRATEGIC ASSUMPTIONS HAVE BEEN MADE. This extremely ambitious plan will be revised as intelligence operations report in from the field.

The Rogue Proposal 1729

The main focuses of this plan is on the following action points:

• Maximizing the Task Groups numerical advantage

• Utilizing Jump Points (JPs) to pressure single objectives from multiple directions

• Optimizing Logistical Routes

Phase 1) Ali Baba

As this incursion will start at our prerogative, we can use border worlds for muster fields without fear of premature escalation. These systems were selected for their safety and future force projection capabilities.

Ali Baba Muster Fields:

Kellog - This system's strong UEE presence allows for a substantial buildup and supply, as well as access to anti-matter exports

Vega - The system's composition is currently unknown. But being a system with five friendly jump points makes mustering here a more organic option while still offering reinforcement and logistical support to Kellog, and vice versa.

Phase 2) Ching Shih

Operation Pitchfork launches its military incursion into Vanduul space. Two main points of Ching Shih will be the attack on Vendetta from Kellog in conjunction to a simultaneous attack on Virgil from Vega.

Ching Shih conclusion: If at this point, the operation has not devolved into a cloud of atomized metals and freeze dried pilots, and the two systems of Vendetta and Virgil are taken, the next phase will begin.

Phase 3) Yakov Pavlov

This phase will focus on the rearmament and refueling of the expeditionary forces now holding Vendetta and Virgil. Logistical teams from Kellog and Vega will be launched, and search and rescue operations will begin. Time will be taken for units and factions to communicate the results of their battles, and compare battlefield telemetry. This will be instrumental in coordinating the following phases. During Yakov Pavlov, the main bodies of the fleets will also need to maintain control of their respective systems until the next phase is launched.

Phase 4) Boudicca

Launching from the UEE system of Garron, and the captured sectors of Virgil and Vendetta, the forces of Operation Pitchfork will make a three-pronged attack on the Vanduul forces of Tiber. The battle for Tiber will make or break the rest of the campaign. Tiber should not be ignored, it's function as a major staging ground will keep it in play as a threat all bordering systems, including its ability to reinforce Orion, should they take the opportunity. The destruction or crippling of capital ships must be made with all haste in this engagement. Boarding of capital ships should be taken advantage of during this engagement when possible to in an attempt to turn their weapons on the local Vanduul fleet, though neutralizing them as a threat comes first.

Phase 5) Benjamin Hornigold

Similar to Phase 3) Yakov Pavlov, resupply, rearmament, salvage, and search and rescue. The only difference is during this phase, pirate forces in Nul will launch attacks on Caliban, supported by intact remnants from Boudicca.

Phase 6) William Carney

William Carney is the Holy Land of this Crusade, and if Benjamin Hornigold is successful, there will be two direction to attack Orion from simultaneously. Every asset, every ship, every reserve will be committed to this push. If we reach this point, everything that's been learned in the previous battles will have been communicated to all Pitchforkers in the Operation through all of our various lines of communication, and hopefully the attrition rate will not have been too severe to sustain the assault on Orion.

Phase 7) Leeroy the Prophet

Wait, we're still alive? LEEEEROOOOOOY JENKIIIIIIINS!!!
  • Last Edit: October 23, 2013, 07:35:44 AM by PvtHike

• Benjamin the Rogue
  • [*][*][*]
  • Staff
Re: Re: My proposed ideas... or at least a place to start talking...
Reply #1
I have two other alternative plans, one that takes the Nul --> Caliban --> Orion --> And Beyond route as the no frills assault route, or a bit more complicated Vega --> Virgil; Virgil & Garron --> Tiber; Nul --> Caliban; Tiber & Caliban --> Orion pincer attack.

Re: Benjamin the Rogue's Proposal
Reply #2
A bit too long and complex for a rag-tag band of militia men.

Also, you seem to think space borders are like earth-bound borders.

If we consider each jump-point to be a bridge (which seems likely, depending on how much drift you get when coming out of it) then each operation that forces us to cross a jump-point defended by the Vanduul would cost us dearly. Even after securing a jump-point, then you have to deal with an entire solar system to attack and defend with several military objectives. There's no way you can create a "solid front", so you'll have isolated pockets of military presence wherever the main objectives area. Also, you can't really mass forces too much around a small portion or space or you subject yourself to AOE weaponry and diminishing returns on your own fighters because of close-quarter maneuvering problems.

What would happen if the exit-way from a jump-point is virtually filled by debris? That's an interesting question that perhaps would be worth asking to the devs.
It's a penguin... with a gun. I'd run if I were you.

• Benjamin the Rogue
  • [*][*][*]
  • Staff
Reply #3
This was not a serious plan at all. It was just fun. I know a mob made up of pitchforks and torches and antimatter cargo bays are not up for this.

• MattK101
  • [*][*][*]
  • Enrolled
Reply #4
It's not a bad plan. My concern would be around phase 3-4, if we delay too much we are going to charge right in to heavy Vanduul reinforcements, including capital ships. Maybe before we 100% secure the first objectives we should at least get a scouting/harassing force moving on to the next objective?

• Benjamin the Rogue
  • [*][*][*]
  • Staff
Reply #5
It'd be a great plan if we had everyone enlist into a single military-style organization. But that's not gonna happen. So it's mostly about coming up with cool names.

• MattK101
  • [*][*][*]
  • Enrolled
Reply #6
Yeah, odds are it will be trying to point various swarms in the right directions

• Harker
  • [*][*][*]
  • Enrolled
Reply #7
I think this is actually a solid plan. It splits up the fleet at the start, but there's a rolling regroup as we capture more sectors.

Like Operation Market Garden, it drops forces at certain points then reuniting them for a combined assault on enemy positions from more than one direction.

Unlike Operation Market Garden (or perhaps exactly like it turned out?), the "paratroopers" will drop on systems one by one and our "XXX Corps" will roll in to support them as each successive system is captured.

Might not be the best idea to join the fracas as Tiber, but if all goes successfully we'll be able to push back basically the entire northern UEE-Vanduul front as well as resolving the Tiber conflict (a big Vanduul fleet restaging / materials harvesting area).

I think it'll be possible to marshall independant Pitchforkers to this if we keep constant updates. Just have a single central staging point, then split up new arrivals into regular "reinforcement convoys" heading out to the different fleet groups.

• Benjamin the Rogue
  • [*][*][*]
  • Staff
Reply #8
When I planned this, it was mostly keeping in mind that Orion is usually pretty bare of Vanduul presence, so even if the thing did turn into a burning wreck, we could fly the remnants to Orion, plant our boots on the ground and say "Tada!"

Though, depending on how bad of a burning wreck we turn into, it might be more appropriate to crash-land, and then say "Like a glove..."

Reply #9

A bit too long and complex for a rag-tag band of militia men.

That's my thinking. Too many moving parts means victory will get stuck in the gears.
United Space Confederation Envoy to Operation Pitchfork
Envoy, USC
XO, USC Defense Force Training Command
Member, USC Interstellar Commerce
Member, USC Expeditionary Corps
Member, USC Department of Aerospace Engineering

Aurora LX (Traveller's Tales)
Anvil F7C-M (Ares' Gauntlet)
Anvil Carrack (Grey-Eyed Goddess)
Aegis Vanguard (Hero for Hire)
Anvil Crucible (Rustoff)

Reply #10
    This seems like a very nice plan. However, I think there should at least be some single or multi-stage backup plans made for each step to insure maximum survival rates and unit preparedness. I think this plan could have great success after a bit of training and maybe a few practice runs with smaller groups into the earlier areas since bypassing the first system or so just to get a feel could be easy but diving further unnoticed could easily result in death. I think morale and situational awareness would also go up if they knew what they were getting into in the first few steps that way they aren't flying blind when it matters most and have an idea of what to expect in the last stages.