Skip to main content You are either not logged in or not registered with our community. Click here to register.

WikiFullscreen ChatVoice Chat (Discord)Org PageF.A.Q.

Topic: Teamspeak or Mumble Server Support (Read 4576 times) previous topic - next topic

• Benjamin the Rogue
  • [*][*][*]
  • Staff
Teamspeak or Mumble Server Support
Attention fellow, Forkers! Do you have available to you the resources to facilitate the communication between members of this most audacious crusade of righteousness? We need you!

If you have Teamspeak, Mumble, or other forms of communication that you can host, let us know, and tell us your capability!

Our time for glory comes! Support the liberation of Orion!

Current Assets:

Current OPPF Mumble server provided by Jayhawk.
Stats:
Label- Operation Pitchfork
Address- operationpitchfork.com
Port- 64738
  • Last Edit: November 27, 2013, 01:20:20 PM by Benjamin the Rogue

Re: Teamspeak or Mumble Server Support
Reply #1
I believe JawHawk has a Teamspeak server? Should link that.

Otherwise I can host an arbitrarily-sized Mumble connection, though extreme levels would require some donor support, simply due to bandwidth costs.

• Benjamin the Rogue
  • [*][*][*]
  • Staff
Reply #2
I have no earthly experience myself with anything like hosting a server. The one time I tried it for some program, I ended up starting the first-ever recorded computer uprising. So even though I started this thread, I am far from an expert. I'll leave the comments from this point out to the people who do know. We're depending on you guys!

Reply #3
Well as mentioned, if people want a Mumble server just ping me.

• JayHawk
  • [*][*][*]
  • Enrolled
Reply #4
Only current TS I'm hosting is voice.theblue.co

For the actual operation we'll be needing people to volunteer any voice servers they can spare. That is, of course, under the premise that the majority of people wish to be organised. I have no doubts some people will do their own thing with regards to large guilds but we can still offer a service to lone wolves looking for a friendly raiding party.

• Benjamin the Rogue
  • [*][*][*]
  • Staff
Reply #5
Even just having lobbies to join will greatly help towards organizing this event. On the day of the event, people need only join the server, find a lobby with a name they like, jump in, and the natural human tendency to group with the people you're talking to will help Lone Wolves form up.

If we were feeling extra froggy, we could seed each lobby with one person who has a line of communication with Fleet Command, just so they can pass the word to the others as they get tweets/texts/PMs/Morse Codes from on high.

• JayHawk
  • [*][*][*]
  • Enrolled
Reply #6
I had the idea of having 6-7 TS servers with 1 command server. The servers would be streamlined with users having the same permissions through out. So for example, Sailor would have the Commander rank and powers in all servers so we can identify him. It also means that a user with admin powers has them across all servers, thus meaning any rule breaking can be dealt with.

It's possible to be on more than 1 TS server at a time, meaning updates/messages can be relayed by designated people (with the specific rank and powers). This allows every group to be up to date so we're all on the same page.

This does, however, mean a few people may have to be sat on all the servers and not in game if they wish to fulfill this role.

The commander's teamspeak would act as a "meeting hall" for all commanders, group leaders, message carriers and anyone else important. No one else would be given permission to join. This idea is purely to cut out any griefing that might happen and allow the people in charge to not be pestered by the (potentially) thousands of users involved in this op.

Just my 2 cents. Wouldn't be hard to setup at all. I have OCD when it comes to teamspeak so it can be done quickly end efficiently.  I can also make sexy user icons for each rank.
  • Last Edit: October 20, 2013, 05:35:05 AM by JayHawk

• Benjamin the Rogue
  • [*][*][*]
  • Staff
Reply #7
That's a great idea. I'm unfamiliar with how Teamspeak works, I'm just knowledgeable enough that I was finally able to join my MWO guilds TS this last week. The structure you suggested is definitely moving in the right direction. I think a good model for this communication network would be one based off of how Battlefield 2 did it, but on a much larger scale.

• Gsus
  • [*][*][*]
  • Enrolled
Reply #8

I had the idea of having 6-7 TS servers with 1 command server. The servers would be streamlined with users having the same permissions through out. So for example, Sailor would have the Commander rank and powers in all servers so we can identify him. It also means that a user with admin powers has them across all servers, thus meaning any rule breaking can be dealt with.

It's possible to be on more than 1 TS server at a time, meaning updates/messages can be relayed by designated people (with the specific rank and powers). This allows every group to be up to date so we're all on the same page.

This does, however, mean a few people may have to be sat on all the servers and not in game if they wish to fulfill this role.

The commander's teamspeak would act as a "meeting hall" for all commanders, group leaders, message carriers and anyone else important. No one else would be given permission to join. This idea is purely to cut out any griefing that might happen and allow the people in charge to not be pestered by the (potentially) thousands of users involved in this op.

Just my 2 cents. Wouldn't be hard to setup at all. I have OCD when it comes to teamspeak so it can be done quickly end efficiently.  I can also make sexy user icons for each rank.

+1
I had a similar idea, but I'm unfamiliar with Teamspeak. If this works it could be right structure for a operation like this with thousands of players.

• JayHawk
  • [*][*][*]
  • Enrolled
Reply #9

I think a good model for this communication network would be one based off of how Battlefield 2 did it, but on a much larger scale.

For mentioning BF2, you have my respect  ;)

TS is simple enough to use. For those who need any help with it then PM me or request help here on the forums and I can guarantee you will receive it.

If we get enough servers as required then I can set it up in under 30 minutes. We can also add trackers to the website to show the amount of people in each server allowing users to find free spots.

One thing that we might have to consider is the following:
Say that you're in a group of 40 people on the PU in an instancing. You are told to join the TS server that everyone else in your group is on, but it's full. This could be a potential annoyance for individual users.
It means that we should only allow users on the server who are currently in an active instance. This means no AFK channels and no idling will be permitted.

But, if we get enough servers (15+) then it shouldn't be as much of a problem.
  • Last Edit: October 20, 2013, 06:35:02 AM by JayHawk

• JayHawk
  • [*][*][*]
  • Enrolled
Reply #10
Double post

Basic flowchart of information movement around the network we'll have.

The flow of information between SC and Teamspeak will be instantaneous as the users on TS will be present in the game. However the movement of this information back to the Command TS server (and the commanders) will not be as it will be required to be sent either via a message of by a carrier who transmits the intelligence over mic.

We may not even need message carriers at all - if we can send messages over Star Citizen effectively then we can relegate needing people to switch TS servers.

• Benjamin the Rogue
  • [*][*][*]
  • Staff
Reply #11
I am most definitely eager to find out how they institute communication in the SC universe. I'm hoping for some sort of multi-band radio frequency like system. I mean, wildly hoping for it. It's not likely, but I can dream.

• Harker
  • [*][*][*]
  • Enrolled
Reply #12
JayHawk's idea is good, and my outfit has a 100 slot TS server it can contribute. Instead of setting up a unified ranking structure across all servers however, it would probably be better to have the single 'command' server then split up the various fleet sections across all available servers as necessary.

• JayHawk
  • [*][*][*]
  • Enrolled
Reply #13
The idea of having a cross-server rank structure would be so we can tell who the commanders/group leaders are. The group leaders might be required to go to the command server for briefing (if we go down that route). Commanders may join the other TS servers to be in a group. It's for identification as well as "high ups" having the ability to enforce rules irrespective of server owner.

It's really not hard for me to set up the ranks on each server if that's the concern.

Reply #14
Could also use one of Mumble or Teamspeak for the command server and the other for the secondaries, making relaying relatively immediate.

I have the bandwidth to run 3 ~600 slot mumble servers on short notice.

In theory I could run a 60k mumble server if I could get money for a 10gbps line and a server capable of handling that. I don't think I'd want to try more than 6k though.

• Harker
  • [*][*][*]
  • Enrolled
Reply #15
I would be surprised if we could get more than one or two hundred players onto any voice chat server.

• JackDaniels
  • [*][*][*]
  • Enrolled
  • Former - Shout Box Lurker & Forum - Admin
Reply #16
Well I know the Burning Legion has a 500 slot TS server... but I don't know how much of that they could pull when the time is needed for it... granted "The Convoyâ„¢" are still guests to the burning Legion TS right now, but I am sure they could be convinced if the need is greatest.

As for a Mumble server I have all 3 communication softwares so I don't have much of a problem getting online... as for the game... I thought we was going to have some type of VOIP in game?
2j0kx3s.png" width="490

• Benjamin the Rogue
  • [*][*][*]
  • Staff
Reply #17
Like I said, I'm holding out hope for an in-game VOIP. We'll see. I only have TS right now. But we'll have time to develop this as we find out SC's capabilities.

• JayHawk
  • [*][*][*]
  • Enrolled
Reply #18
I've got TS, Ventrilo and Mumble all installed.

The benefits of using the above programs over ingame VoIP is that we can setup a structure that means any player can move to a different channel if they're put in a different instance. For the time being we know little about the VoIP and how it will work so the best thing to do would be plan the use of hosted voice servers.

If the ingame situation changes then we can alter our plans as necessary but for now it's only speculation.

• Andy_H
  • [*][*][*]
  • Enrolled
  • NMC Ambassasdor.
Reply #19
My group has TS and Vent we can open up. 20 or so slots each and may make arrangements for 50 if needed. Also have some experience as a multi-squad coordinator on both at once.

Have also talked with some local area gamers about coming together in one location as a LAN party and serving as a communications hub for our respective squadrons.

We've got time to iron all this out, but getting a communications network flowing smoothly should be a priority with group representatives spending some time (later of course) training to work together.

• Harker
  • [*][*][*]
  • Enrolled
Reply #20

My group has TS and Vent we can open up. 20 or so slots each and may make arrangements for 50 if needed. Also have some experience as a multi-squad coordinator on both at once.

Have also talked with some local area gamers about coming together in one location as a LAN party and serving as a communications hub for our respective squadrons.

I don't think the benefits of having a command group in the same room as each other outweigh a group of  experienced commanders communicating over the internet, who've trained together and know how each operates.

We've got time to iron all this out, but getting a communications network flowing smoothly should be a priority with group representatives spending some time (later of course) training to work together.

It's important not to get carried away and setup a top-heavy command structure. The vast majority of players will ignore orders or just follow everyone else, which will make this a potential nightmare even for experienced online gaming commanders.

I would suggest leaving organisation command entirely up to each individual organisation, but with a co-ordinator in the central hub to relay objectives, intel updates and the like.

Operating slightly detached from this would be a small group of "zerg commanders" who determine targets for the main player fleet, and relay them amongst a series of "order rebroadcasters," players who are spread throughout the fleets/instances and whose role is to simply spam the latest orders from command as well as general progress/intel updates.

It's important to stress how disorganised this will be (thousand/s of players before you get to the actual semi-organised guild fleets), and how important it is that the people at the top actually know how to command large groups of people in online games. Because it isn't easy. It takes huge amounts of energy and commitment, and if the ones at the top know what they are doing (which will be instantly obvious) they will get much better results at getting people to follow orders than new, inexperienced commanders.
  • Last Edit: October 23, 2013, 02:08:30 AM by Harker

• Andy_H
  • [*][*][*]
  • Enrolled
  • NMC Ambassasdor.
Reply #21

I don't think the benefits of having a command group in the same room as each other outweigh a group of  experienced commanders communicating over the internet, who've trained together and know how each operates.

I would suggest leaving organization command entirely up to each individual organisation, but with a co-ordinator in the central hub to relay objectives, intel updates and the like.

Operating slightly detached from this would be a small group of "zerg commanders" who determine targets for the main player fleet, and relay them amongst a series of "order rebroadcasters," players who are spread throughout the fleets/instances and whose role is to simply spam the latest orders from command as well as general progress/intel updates.

I thought that was sort of what I was suggesting. Saying something across the room to relay info to other "rebroadcasters" who will personally know each other by kickoff time is easier than managing several different channels on TS and such. Was just an idea to streamline the communication chain.

If groups in some cities are planning on gatherings for the event, why not take advantage of it?

• JayHawk
  • [*][*][*]
  • Enrolled
Reply #22
You underestimate my ability to command via teamspeak then. I've played games in a room with other people while being on TS to other people. The amount of background noise gets intolerable above 2 other people in the room.

While the people who will be in the same room can argue they're amazing strategists blah blah, at the end of the day they're not the people in charge of the operation. I await Sailor's response with regards to all of this. No one guild in particular should be in charge, we are a movement of the people and not a specific organisation.

• Andy_H
  • [*][*][*]
  • Enrolled
  • NMC Ambassasdor.
Reply #23
Never said anything about being in charge. Was just offering a suggestion mentioning a willingness act as a relay hub, not command. That is all. If it's been tried before, and there are problems with the idea, then that is fine.
  • Last Edit: October 24, 2013, 02:48:17 PM by Andy_H

• JayHawk
  • [*][*][*]
  • Enrolled
Reply #24
I understand what you're saying Andy, but the person who should ultimately decide the command and communications structure should be Sailor.

There are flaws in all the above methods, we just need to find the most suitable way closer to the event.